Thread: Need info on the 2 speaker conversion early dash

Need info on the 2 speaker conversion early dash

i though it saw a post here (or maybe pelican?) where someone had cleverly thought up a small dual speaker to replace the oval one on the 69-75 dash without any mods to dash or pad. I cannot find it thru the searches

anyone help please?
    Thanks
    Dave
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Ebay???

Dave, saw this on Ebay. Not sure of quality..fit...etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Early...QQcmdZViewItem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I had it done at a really capable stereo installation place -- Haas in Culver City. They installed two 3" drivers in the single center dash hole in my '69. I had them create a speaker cover to fit the hole. I kept the stock leather perforated dash speaker cover in case I ever sell. The sound is a bit bright but it's cool. And I didn't have to cut the doors. It's really quite easy. Any good shop can do it.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

I bought a two speaker setup from a shop in Costa Mesa, CA. I had to modify it as it was meant for a stereo rather than monaural radio, but that was not difficult and I did not have to cut the original speaker wires. The fit was perfect and it really improved the sound quality of the old Blaupunkt.

However, I recommened that he design/aquire a monaural set up since a) these radios were not stereo (at least not in my 72T) and b) since he uses two small speakers, very little bass is available. Why not just modify a single 2 way speaker, with a bass cone and treble speaker above it?

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I should have mentioned that I have a brand new digital head unit with CD player installed in my car. I use my car as my daily driver so I wanted some quality sound with a bit of power behind it.

If you're using your old stock mono radio, better to stick with the single speaker and talk radio.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Radio? What's that?

Having done an "ultimate" Nakamichi/ADS system back in the 80's on an SC Weissach taught me that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The acoustics in the car are poor at best. You must drive the speakers at a level that will make you deaf before your time.

Noise Levels

Both the amount of noise and the length of time you are exposed to the noise determine its ability to damage your hearing. Noise levels are measured in decibels (dB). The higher the decibel level, the louder the noise. Sounds louder than 80 decibels are considered potentially hazardous. The noise chart below gives an idea of average decibel levels for everyday sounds around you.

Painful:

150 dB = rock music peak

140 dB = firearms, air raid siren, jet engine

130 dB = jackhammer

120 dB = jet plane take-off, amplified rock music at 4-6 ft., car stereo,

band practice

Extremely loud:

110 dB = rock music, model airplane

106 dB = timpani and bass drum rolls

100 dB = snowmobile, chain saw, pneumatic drill

90 dB = lawnmower, shop tools, truck traffic, subway

Very loud:

80 dB = alarm clock, busy street

70 dB = busy traffic, vacuum cleaner

60 dB = conversation, dishwasher

Moderate:

50 dB = moderate rainfall

40 dB = quiet room

Faint:

30 dB = whisper, quiet library

Warning Signs of Hazardous Noise

You must raise your voice to be heard
    You can't hear someone two feet away from you
    Speech around you sounds muffled or dull after leaving a noise area
    You have pain or ringing on your ears (tinnitus) after exposure to noise.
    Hazardous Noise

Sounds louder than 80 decibels are considered potentially dangerous. Both the amount of noise and the length of time of exposure determine the amount of damage. Hair cells of the inner ear and the hearing nerve can be damaged by an intense brief impulse, like an explosion, or by continuous and/or repeated exposure to noise.

Examples of noise levels considered dangerous by experts are a lawnmower, a rock concert, firearms, firecrackers, headset listening systems, motorcycles, tractors, household appliances (garbage disposals, blenders, food processors/choppers, etc.) and noisy toys. All can deliver sound over 90 decibels and some up to 140 decibels.

Tom

PS: I've been known to wear earplugs in an especially loud car and always on a motorcycle.

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Can't live without my tunes so a sow's ear's fine with me. My radio/CD unit playing through the stereo speakers in my center dash hole work fine. Besides, I left my hearing at an X concert at the Whiskey in 1981. Or was it The Clash at the Palladium? Or The Police? Or The Talking Heads? Or...
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

SandyI - that is so funny, cuz I left me hearing at an X concert in Pomona somewhere between 79-81. Billy Zoom was still in the band and I mistakenly parked myself early in front of his amp/speakers. My ears rung for at least 3 days. Great show tho...

My Targa is fairly loud, so while I do enjoy my tunes via my vinatge radio, it's usually just at low speeds. Above 50 mph, I find that I'v egot to raise the volume so much that the overall cacophony is not great.