Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 S toolkit

1969 S toolkit

Greetings.

Imagine my surprise when upon going through the items that came with my recently acquired '69 911S (RGruppe-style) I happened upon the original toolkit. The last owner seemed nonplussed. Sure, all his vehicles have their toolkits. Well I don't know about the early 911 guys, but in the 356 camp where I come from a clean, (seemingly) original and complete toolkit is quite the item of note.

Which leads me to my question... HOW complete and original is this toolkit? I've a number of sources telling me what should be in various 356 toolkits, but not for the 911S. Any toolkit experts out there?

Here's a rundown of what I've got, along with photos:

One 2-snap, 2-fold pouch, black outside and gray inside

Five open-ended wrenches, marked on only one side:
    19/17mm, marked with sizes and SELECTED-STEEL GERMANY
    15/14mm, marked with sizes and DROP FORGED STEEL GERMANY
    13/12mm, marked with sizes and SELECTED-STEEL GERMANY
    11/10mm, marked with sizes and DROP FORGED STEEL GERMANY
    9/8mm, marked with sizes and SELECTED-STEEL GERMANY

One box-ended wrench, 22/19mm, marked on one side only with sizes and CHROM-VANADIUM

One 2-pin spanner for holding the cooling fan, marked P208

One pair of side cut plyers, no markings

One lug wrench, marked 19mm on lug end, tapered on "jack" end

One spark plug wrench with allen receiver on knurl knob end, marked KLEIN 21

One 10mm ATF allen wrench, to fit wrench above, marked DIN 911 SW10 KLEIN W.GERMANY

One slotted screwdriver, tapered at the tip, marked 10000 VOLT W-GERMANY

One Phillips screwdriver, slightly shorter than the above, marked 10000 VOLT W-GERMANY

Stock jack (not pictured below)

I would suspect there also should have been a replacement fan belt. Anything else missing? Anything here not correct? Toolkit jocks, where are you?

Thanks,
    Mr. Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks like it is all there. You even have the correct (one year) buffalo hide bag. COOL .

You were indeed very lucky; I have been piecing mine together for a year now and still need the large closed end wrench, screwdrivers and jack. Now how about some pics of the car and some details (MFI, flares, etc.)?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Mr. Bill,

Toolkits in early 911's are very desireable, though not quite as pricey as the 356 type...

Your toolkit looks pretty good, but the texture on the bag isn't as textured as Kenik's bag, his has markedly more texture. Yours would be "ok" for your year, personally I think that the texture of your bag and the inside color makes it a 68 bag, but hey it could have been a carryover bag. Personally I think the most correct bags for the 1969 are the same outside black skin as yours with a "tan" (not putty) colored vinyl interior, or the heavily textured buffalo vinyl that Kenik is referring to.

I think all of your tools are correct for your year, with the exception that you should have ALL "drop forged steel" wrenches, the "selected steel" wrenches are from later years. Of special note, you have the correct pliers.... with the raised smooth "chrome" cutting edge.

regards,
    Eric

By the way, the "drop forged steel" wrenches are the same as found in 356 C/SC's, so they are pricey. And, you are also in need of a fan belt, marked "Porsche-Phoenix" 9.5 x 710 (from memory....sorry those numbers may not be quite correct, but I'll check...). Lastly there was a little packaged fuse pack that had 5 fuses in it, the packaging is clear, and the top slider cover has "pudenz" in red script on it. You can buy a non scripted fuse pack from Brad Ripley at NLA Ltd, a primarily 356 parts supplier.

regards,

Eric

I may have a '69, but Eric has had several '69s. I trust all of my tool decisions to his wary eye.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks!

Thanks to Eric and Kenikh for their replies, nice to know that this kit is "mostly" correct anyway. I did note that some of these tools were also used in the late 356 kits. Seeing as how this 911 S will never (or highly unlikely) ever be stock again, a few of them might get swapped over to the kit I'm putting together for my number-matching '64 356 SC restoration.

If anybody's interested, there's a very good 356 toolkit page located at http://www.356.ca/tools/

On the bag possibly being a '68 holdover... maybe. This is chassis no. 264, which I'd guesstimate at early 3rd month of production. Kinda late for holdover items, tho' Porsche was certainly well known for such things.

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    [...] Now how about some pics of the car and some details (MFI, flares, etc.)?
    How quickly they forget... You commented on it in the "Modified 69 S - valuation" thread in the cars wanted/forsale area a few weeks ago. But rather than search it out, who's not going to talk about their car when prompted?

Start with a '69 S chassis. Externally, add a '72 S bumper/chin spoiler, steel SC flares, wide Fuchs and H-1s. Internally, add leather covered Sport Seats, Dana cruise control and factory (SC) air with dual center dash outlets. In the money hole, put in a '78 SC engine with a 98mm p/c set (3.2 liters total), 10:1 compression, early S cams, Weber 40IDF carbs and Jacobs ignition, growling out through a stainless steel exhaust system. Lay down the power through a '78 915 tranny with close ratio gears. Makes for one *fun* little go-kart!

Some fresh photos I just took for the insurance company are posted below.

Mr. Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images      

She Looks Niiiiice.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

"a few of them might get swapped over to the kit I'm putting together for my number-matching '64 356 SC restoration."

Mr. Bill,... shoot me an email, and I'll send you some pics of the NOS 356 C/SC toolkit I have. I'm out of town right now, but I'll be back in a couple of days...

Eric
    elinden "at" earthlink.net

There is some very busy wiring in that engine compartment. Is that extra wire all of the leftover wiring from the MFI? By the way, if you are looking to re-MFI, there is someone on EBay right now sellinga 69S injector pump. I think the bidding starts at $350, and no one has put in a bid yet...

Forgot to mention that your car looks very nice...