Thread: Tag... you're it !

Tag... you're it !

So here's the deal…

I commute home most every day the same way to the West San Fernando Valley by way of our overtaxed freeway system…
    Last Thursday I noticed I had to start slowing for my well used West bound off ramp WAY ahead of time… the long uphill off ramp was slammed and evening rush hour exiting traffic was filling the right line of the freeway for about 1/4 of a mile…. Of course out of the many of us who were impacted there were the unaware-unprepared-few that came up on this right lane slowdown at about 70 MPH… with almost catastrophic results…

The problem was a missed cued traffic light at the top of the exit… instead of a 20 second green to clear the ramp, the sequencing had screwed up so the green was about 4 seconds….

This happened again on Friday … This time there were about 3 VERY NEAR misses around me… and by Monday I had had enough...

I called West Valley CalTrans Traffic Control on Tuesday morning, and of all things, got a REAL person…. He said he'd look into it and asked for my name and #.

The off ramp was flowing like normal that Tuesday evening … and all was fine yesterday as well…

This morning I called to tell them what ever it was, was fixed… A new guy answered… I asked what the hell was the initial problem? … he told me to hold… came back on the line and said it was a computer-to-relay glitch in downtown L.A. … I asked how many calls and complaints had they received? … he told me to hold… he came back and asked "Are you Miller?" … I said yeah… he said "you were it" ...

He said "This happens all the time, people think the next guy will do it, or there is no one to call, or what ever… But, the bottom line is if we don't know about it - we can't fix it"

… and so it goes ........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck,
    I think you should be the one to call GB in DC and give him the word. Apparently, no one else has done this yet either.

Squeeky wheel and all that.....

Sherwood

I think you should be the one to call GB in DC and give him the word. Apparently, no one else has done this yet either

Thats a good one
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

...a person.....you actually spoke to a person?.. who could do something about it....wow, I am impressed.

In London the light timing is 'variable'..shall we say...yet regardless of 'empirical testing.. ie sitting it the lights and timing them.. the traffic 'control' always deny ever altering them and trying new timings....

Well done....

In Sociology, the phenom you described (supposing the other guy will take action) is called Diffusion of Responsibility. It is a very common occurance. The best documented case was back in the 70's when a young woman was knifed to death in a parking lot surrounded by 3 apartment buildings on a hot summer night (windows open) in NY, NY. Not one person called the police even though she screamed for help for 5 minutes. When people where interviewed, they said they heard her, and saw her being attacked, but figured someone else would call.

Knowing that, I now always take the initiative - and Chuck proved the rule once again. If you wait to rely upon the kindness of strangers, you may just keep waiting.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell