Thread: Lighter removeal

Lighter removeal

Hello just have a easy question. How do you get the Cigaret lighter housing out of the dash? Wires are all off and the lighter itself is removed. Still can't see how to losen the housing and get it out. Thanx in advance.
    Regards Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

the cig lighter is two pieces and has to be unscrewed from behind the dash.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Just to clarify endo's post. The entire outer backshell of the lighter viewed from the trunk needs to be unscrewed. It's hollow and threaded. This effectively clamps the front bezel portion of the lighter against the dash. Once unscrewed completely, the main housing pulls out from the front of the dash.

You shouldn't need pliers or tools. Just reach up there and give it a good turn lefty loosey.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

This took me months to finally figure out.

It was basically the last thing in my shell before media blasting. It was really tight so I just assumed there was a trick I hadn't figured out yet.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Thanx. I knew it was something simple, just a little too simple! Thats where I'am at now Bob. The wiring behind the dash was very imtimidating. Reminds of the british cars that I swore off. Amazing how such a well desigined car could have a nest like that. This going to be fun. Thanx all
    Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine

I agree.

The wiring behind the dash is a mess. But, on the otherhand in the engine compartment it is quite tidy. Electircal is not my strongest skill so I am making sure I test all components and wire harnesses on the bench before I reassemble my car. Tested the horns and MFI cold start components this week....
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Hey Bob electrical is not my strong point either, then add being colar blind to boot. It will take a couple of friends a few beers and who knows how many evenings but it will get rewired. They have pitty on my handicap but understand. What type of meida blasting did you have done? And did you have to remove all the rust proofing before hand? What was the easist way of removing it? Thanx.
    Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine

I used walnut blasting to remove all paint and underseal then garnet to remove any localized corrosion.

Walnut removed the underseal because it is so old and hard otherwise it should be removed using other techniques. Wurth makes a wire wheel tool that removes it very well.

I have paid a total of ~$1500 to have every panel and chassis done. Money well spent given the nature of the work. Terrible messy and hard on the body if you choose to do it yourself.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.