Thread: 72 targa hoop refurb, Rs flares

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.

72 targa hoop refurb, Rs flares

OK, one for the refurb gurus & one for the originality guys ...

I have acquired 72S targa needing some work to return it to its former glory.
    The targa hoop has been painted gloss black by PO (arrgh!) Not sure what prep was done before the paint was applied so .... questions are:safest way to strip? best way to refinish? will it be cheaper to find another hoop?

Car also has RS flares (steel) with steel RS touring rear bumpers. I understand that 73 cars could be optioned from the factory with flared rear guards (true? / false?) but 1972? Hmmm ... unlikely. So - how much do you think the flares affect the value? Should they be returned to original?

Car is matching numbers 72S, sports seats, 300kph speedo, 380 mm steering wheel, 85 liter plastic fuel tank.

Any & all thoughts welcome.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

targa bar

E-mail sent

Fred

Get the kardex to confirm the flares, but I'd try to source another hoop versus trying to refurb yours. You'd have to strip the paint then reanodize; not cheap.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

The targa bar cover is actually stainless so there is no anodized finish.

After you have it removed from the car you could try to remove the paint with chemical stripper and plastic tools.

The stainless bar should have a grain to it an not be high/mirror polished. If you used anything but plastic tools you will scratch the finish of the stainless.

You may be lucky have have a nice bar under the paint. Kind of like how some people find nice hardwood floors under 70's shag carpeting.

Most importantly don't us and hard tools or sand papers to remove the paint.

Fingers are crossed.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Ok, thanks all - I'll keep you posted. Plus I've been offered a targa hoop to buy in case it all goes "sideways"!

I'll check the kardex for the flares, but I assumed that being a 72 car that they wouldn't have been offered on a production car that early - BUT ... stranger things have happened for customers with deep pockets I guess!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306