Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long term parking /storage in NYC?

long term parking /storage in NYC?

Hi there,
    my work has just moved me to New York, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for long term parking / storage for my '72 911e? I would want occasional access, say about once every 2 or 3 weeks...

any tips / pointers would be very much apprecaited...

thx

Paul BH

Parking in NYC for '72E

I'll give you a good deal in my garage in Atlanta...

Seriously, when I lived in NYC in the eighties, I parked my 911 at a storage facility in northern New Jersey. Much cheaper out there, but mostly I wanted to avoid the inevitable wear and tear on the car of driving in and out of the city with the terrible street conditions and traffic. Public transport on the PATH trains or NJ Transit is pretty good.

You might check with John Paterek's shop, he is a dedicated Porschephile in northern NJ and may know some good storage locations.

Good luck.
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

lol, thanks - atlanta is a little far

don't suppose you have contact details for John or the name of his shop?

thx

PBH

Maybe if your Porsche is nice enough you can get a good deal at 183 W 83rd Street
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Paterek

His contact info is listed on the Tech Q&A page in Panorama. Let me know if you don't have access.
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

I live in Manhattan and I have a 993 that I do not use very often, not even every weekend (my 2.2 S is in Italy). I have a parking place that is not too expensive nor too inconvenient, at least for Manhattan. If you send me a personal message, I can give you some advice.
    However, if you plan to use the car very, very little, it could make more sense to park it somewhere in New Jersey, not far from public transports.

Paterek's shop is already overfull and to my knowledge he has no access to additional strage. He is also near Short Hills which is accessible only by a 1+ train or bus ride. Idea of keeping the car at the edges of the city or accross a river (East or Hudson) is wise, assuming you'll be living in Manhattan. First question is where you'll be driving your car. If you plan on driving to the east end of Long Island (Hamptons) garaging in Brooklyn or Queens makes more sense - especially if near subway lines. If upstate New York (MUCH better driving, esp. Taconic State Parkway) best alternative might be Inwood at the very north end of Manhattan and above the GW bridge. Traffic out of town drops precipitously once you're north of the bridge accesses. Also good alternative if Connecticut is destination. Access to and from the north is fairly gentle if you stay on parkways: Taconic, Saw Mill, Cross County, Sprain, Hutch/Merritt. No trucks. Keep in mind you'll probably not drive the car between December and April (salt). I keep cars upstate and a couple in Lower Manhattan and rotate them according to the time of year. It is possible to drive from 135 miles upstate to Manhattan without ever encountering a truck. There are INCREDIBLY beautiful driving roads (none of them on Long Island) with little traffic. It is a terrific place to have an early 911 - as long as it isn't snowing. Good Luck.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

thanks steven, giaz (about to pm you)

I'll probably be doing most of my driving upstate - did a short ride up & down the hudson on sunday and absolutely loved it, so Inwood sounds do-able... just so long as the garage is near public transport so I can get to the car, I'll be good...

A TRAIN 204th St
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Just park on the corner at Lennox & 105th