Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '67 911S or Torsion bars again?

'67 911S or Torsion bars again?

Well Mr. Tweed, Curt, Dan

I told you guys you couldn't get rid of me.

After cleaning out the tank of 11 year old gas, a fresh battery, and a new set of plugs she fired right up.

If you have history on 308323S (eng # 960289) please let me know. It's been a San Diego car most of it's life.

Feels good to be back. Prepare for a smackdown Curt.

Allan

Torsion Bar Impaired... again.

Allan-

How did that one slip in under the radar? I have never seen it before, I don't think. Where did you find it? A VARA and Del Mar Vintage Race veteran? It looks well-seasoned and highly modified, but a great find, nonetheless. If it's got the original 2.0S engine you're going to have a hard time smacking down Curt and Dan, though. You won't even be in the same class, and they will leave you on the straights.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

That looks a lot like my car when I first bought it (RS front bumber, extended real license plate panel, aftermarket mirrors). Are those LWB flares on the rear? I have yet to see another SWB with LWB flares in person. Awesome car! Plans?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

TT

It's been sitting in storage for the past 11 years and I don't know when the PO last raced it with PCASDR. I'm going to meet up with him today and go over what he knows of the car's history. He (Carl Kuck) was the last owner and he gave a Nardi steering wheel still in the bag with Phillip Lugar's name on it. I guess I could check with Cal Club and get the entrants list for that Del Mar vintage race.

Carl and I had been talking back and forth about his car since I had my 964. He mentioned wanting to sell it maybe three years ago and I finally got around to looking at it last Wednesday. A deal was struck and I picked her up Saturday along will a haul of Porsche booty.

Set of 6-7 Fuchs with A008R
    Set of 6-7 Cookie Cutters with brand spankin' new Comp T/A R1!
    Fiberglass Carrera RS front bumper (who needs one?)
    Some non-sport late model leather 911 seats (somebody need some office chairs?)
    Another hood w/dent (anyone?)
    Front mount oil cooler lines
    Brand New Nardi wood steering wheel

He's got more stuff in storage, so another run with the pick-up later this week.

I can totally take down Curt and Dan -100hp. Do I need to dust off my 2001 FS/S trophy for beating Curt with a 5 cylinder 911T? Hey wait... That's the same motor I was faster than Dan with! Oh SNAP!

Bob,

Those are LWB flares on the rear. Hopefully I can find out why/when they are on there. The PO says he has a photo with ST flares on it at one time... Who knows??? The way it sits would be a good starting point for a 911R replica.

Plans. Red Book says that only 1800 of these things were built in '67 so maybe I won't be gutting this thing like all my other cars. First order of business is to get it road worthy again. I'll pull the tank and have it cleaned, replace all the fuel lines, pumps, fuel pressure regular, etc. Go through the brakes. Replace suspension bushings. I can then enjoy driving/auto-x/time-trialing the car while I stock up on parts for resto.

...it would look really really cool as a 911R though.

Ciao,

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Flätsix
    Set of 6-7 Fuchs with A008R
    Set of 6-7 Cookie Cutters with brand spankin' new Comp T/A R1!
    Whoa! That is some vintage rubber, Allan! They haven't even made the R1s since before this new millenium began, no? They were the hot tire for awhile back in the day, though, especially with the asymmetric sidewall construction that really helped a camber-challenged car. They're liable to be hard and dead by now, but if you use them, remember that pressure changes have the opposite effect on steering balance than what you expect from a conventional tire.

I can totally take down Curt and Dan -100hp. Do I need to dust off my 2001 FS/S trophy for beating Curt with a 5 cylinder 911T? Hey wait... That's the same motor I was faster than Dan with!
    Both of them were driving different cars back in 2001. They have upped the ante since then.

Those are LWB flares on the rear. Hopefully I can find out why/when they are on there.
    The first Porsche I ever bought was a '66 that a PO had updated to S specs, with LWB flares, the Mitcom rear license plate panel, later rockers, and a '72/73 front bumper. It was a really fun car, but it's long gone to OZ now.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Re-Baptism of Fire

After what I thought was a good shakedown at the last PCASDR auto-x I decided to take her to WSIR for a Westcoast Racing (Pantera Club) event last weekend instead of my miata. I went to the Ford dealer Wednesday night and bought something to tow it with and rolled it onto my friends spare trailer Friday morning. Cuz I roll like that.

Yes... those are 23.0x8.0x15 Goodyear cantilever slicks on a SWB car. It took a little work but .25" spacers all around seemed to do the trick.

My first session was cut short when the oilfilter on my friends '67 Mustang blew off (ripped the threads out of the filter) and dropped oil on the straight.

Second session went a better but she pretty loose in 2, 8, 9. I think my times were a pokey 1:45-ish. When I pitted in she began to run rough. Fuel pressure was reading 0psi... not great cause I had a race to start in an hour. The filter I had on the front fuel pump was horribly clogged and the only spares I had were the el-cheepo VW ones not a 1/8NTP. Spraying massive ammounts of carb cleaner through it didnt work and time was short so I punched a hole through it with an allen key and prayed the second filter would catch everything. It did for my two warm-up laps. I had a good start when the green dropped but it started to cough when I reached turn 1.
    I managed to limp it back into the pits before the leaders came around... oh man such a downer.

The rest of the days sessions went fine with me changing fuel filters ever session and things started to clear up. Turn 2 and 9 really suck when the sun is going down.

Day two first session went pretty good till my hood popped open going into turn 1. Not good.

I went out for my second session after I thought I fixed the problem... no dice. Figuring I was pretty dam lucky the thing didn't fly open at 125mph and I already had a squawksheet 20 deep, I decided to call it quits and put it on the trailer.

After going through some of the sessions I did record it look like I ran some 1:42s

Friggin' old cars.

Anthony Dilanzo broke into the 1:29s

Tell me you kept that bare-foot gas pedal........

Joe Dirt.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

That gas pedal is SOLID.

You can make a 911R out of any torsion bar tub, all you're going to keep is the cowl, floor and the firewall. Everything else goes glass or gets chopped out for the cage.

But a dry '67S, now that's something. And yours looks like it's all there, quite a find. Congratulations.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I too had that big foot gas pedal, on my go cart, in the seventies... It's gotta stay
    Bob Petitt
    1967 911S Coupe 307653S, my barn find - 55,000 miles Looking for engine #961269 and trans 901/02 #104337
    1971 911T Coupe 9111120264, my first 911 back in my garage
    1972 BMW 2002, my first car - 350,000 miles and counting
    1972 911T Coupe 9112100970, Sporto, parted it out..
    1983 BMW 320i, my everyday car - 138,000 miles and gutless
    2005 Subaru Outback, the daily driver - boring
    2006 Volvo XC90,

Registry Membership #202

nice car. very cool!