Thread: pre-73 first post

pre-73 first post

Well, this is my first Post on this board that I luckily found 3-4 months ago.

I am new to the pre-73 world but not to the Porsche world (993 & 986S).

I am looking since 10 months to buy a pre 73 911 model that I will use for weekend fun, and also for regularity rallyes and regularity in circuit 3-4 times per year. So I am looking for pre73 looks inside out but slightly enhanced performance not a complete garage queen

The things that I have clear by now, is that I want a coupe (sunroof will be nice to have) and that I cannot afford an S at current prices

Last weeked tested my first 2 pre 73s, they were 2 2.4T models, one 72 modified (brakes, motor (injection) and suspension) and one 73 unmodified, and I really liked the concept is just what I expected, specially the modified one, the other although I did like it needed some serious attention.

After the test the first question raised to my mind , for which I would like to obtain your opinion if possible.

Is the 2.4 E significantly more DIY friendly than the T?, I enjoy DIY a lot as part of the fun owning this cars.

Is its worth that I wait for a nice 2.4E or you can obtain similar performance from a tunned 2.4T engine?

Are the trim parts of the pre-73s car difficult or expensive to obtain?

What are good sources to find nice not very expensive pre 73 cars?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions in my first post.
    Early S Reg. #1263
    72´911E
    95´993
    02´986S

1. Is the 2.4 E significantly more DIY friendly than the T?

As far as I know, the 2.4T and 2.4E motors are equally DIY friendly.

2. Is its worth that I wait for a nice 2.4E or you can obtain similar performance from a tunned 2.4T engine?

You can put E or S cams/parts into a T and have similar performance. I recommend keeping a 911E or a 911S P-car stock to retain their value.

3. Are the trim parts of the pre-73s car difficult or expensive to obtain?

Expensive- yes; difficult to obtain- no.

4. What are good sources to find nice not very expensive pre 73 cars?

There are lots including this site. I like Pelicanparts' forums (forums.pelicanparts.com) and their parts site will give you an idea of how much $$$$ new parts cost. Rennlist (forums.rennlist.org) is more 993s and 996s but also has ads for longhoods. Keep an eye out for local ads as that is where good P-cars can be found.

What are good sources to find nice not very expensive pre 73 cars?
    Check with your local Porsche club.

Visit some independent repair shops and ask if they have customers interested in selling.

Cruise neighborhoods during the weekend when people have their garage doors open. Who knows what lurks under that dusty car cover in the side yard.

Autotrader

Craigslist

... there is nothing good on EBay (The Devil's Swapmeet)
    Torsion Bar Impaired... again.

The 73 T has CIS injection and the 73 E is MFI. The CIS should be less maintenence but the MFI may offer more performance. That said however I've never had many maintenence issues with the MFI and carb setups that I've had in the past, just an adjustment here and there.

Modified cars are fun but I perfer mostly period correct modifications. I've had a 69S, 72T modified to RS specs and my current 73T. If your just driving around town I really like my 73 CIS and would recommend it highly, if your wanting some track time stick with the "E" MFI or carbs and modify/update the suspension. Brakes on the E are the same as the S. My two cents worth....
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

WELCOME!

Early 2.4T had MFI until 73.5T then switched to CIS. (talking US Spec here)MFI E to MFI T no difference in DIY. Go with the E or tune a T to E spec.

Or find any old 69-73 with a nasty 3.2 dropped in.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

If you like the 'long-hood' look and weight savings, I wouldn't eliminate the 73s because of the fat rubber baby bumpers (overriders). Those can be easily removed and swapped for earlier models. Considering scarcity, you should probably consider them.

Not trying to insult you, but the longhoods ended in '73 and the horizontal smiles (impact bumpers) began in '74.

Happy hunting and keep us informed.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

a alfa,
    i sent you a pm.

Thanks for the very usefull information, really appreciated.

I will be around this great board. Thanks again.
    Early S Reg. #1263
    72´911E
    95´993
    02´986S

Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    If you like the 'long-hood' look and weight savings, I wouldn't eliminate the 73s because of the fat rubber baby bumpers (overriders). Those can be easily removed and swapped for earlier models. Considering scarcity, you should probably consider them.

Not trying to insult you, but the longhoods ended in '73 and the horizontal smiles (impact bumpers) began in '74.

Happy hunting and keep us informed.
    Alfa A:

Don't let these guys get your head in an uproar about the rubber baby bumpers. Just like the oil tank position on the 72's, it is the bumpers that truly and easily separate the 73's from the rest of the early cars.

I will admit that while my car was getting restored, I agonized about putting the bumpers on, and got plenty of flack from the crowd who suggested (some rather strongly) that I leave them off. Well, they are on, and I am not unhappy with my decision.

But each car is individual to the owner. Just don't exclude the 73's. They have the same engine and tranny as the 72's. Here are a few pix of Kermit with the bumpers clearly shown. They were taken last week at the Concours here in Chicago. I won my class (C) - I was very excited - against 7 other cars.

larry
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Nice car Larry. Great color.

I love my new 71 E over my old "T" for sure.....Leon