Thread: Car Condos???

Car Condos???

I saw the ad in a car magazine the other day. I looked up the website,
    I feel its a great concept. Somewhere to store your cars, in a place you can OWN FOREVER, once paid for, plus assoction dues .

http://parkplacecarcondo.com/

We all have several cars, we all need a place to keep them. I cannot justify in my mind to "rent" a unit, pay a storage facility to keep my 3 Early 911's until I am ready to drive them. I do not need too big of a garage..Although with a bigger garage, I could go and buy more cars, more space for more parts, etc., etc.

Members in So. Florida, whats the word on these condos? What do you guys feel about this concept??? Obviously price is the factor.. OWN vs. RENT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

I've been looking at these since there are 2 reasonably close to my current house (both are 20 minutes max from home). Price is not too bad when you factor in the cost of land locally plus the limitations at most developments with the condo associations...

I have decided against it and we are building a new house with 3 garage structures (yep, "the garagemahal").

I do like the idea but at the same time wonder about how practical it will actually be. I personally prefer one of the concepts better since its more of a storage/garage than a boys club/status symbol.

My $0.02
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

finished condos ??

Juan,

Are any of the buildings completed yet? What do you think of the finished garages?

Obviously the practicality plays a big part. What will you store, how often will you go there to retrieve it? The cheaper the garage, the cheaper the land,the further from civilization...

Post photos when you have your garage dialed in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

The most practical one is the one ust off off I-595 on Marina Mile (where a lot of boat mfg are and also very close to Ft. Lauderdale Internataionl Airport).

This facility looks like your typical modern office/warehouse condo. Actually quite pleasing to the eye but not necesarily in an area where I'd like to be at night.

Pricewise, they wanted something like $70-85K for a space for 3 cars (granted its only one garage door and you'll have to have patience or dollies to store them).

My new garages (I should say new house) are currently in the permitting process. Our idea was to split the garage structures into (in order as you go into my driveway) a covered carport for two cars (22x18) outside of a gate which creates a motorcourt, an enclosed garage for daily drivers (24x24), an enclosed 1 car with 2 walls in glass so the car can be seen from inside the house (22x16) and last a very large garage for my trailer that can also accomodate multiple cars/bikes.

The last one is 32x40 (I think its a bit wider but I can't recall). This one will have a lift, a full bath and laundry facilities for car stuff, 2 separate storage areas (12x6 + 10x12) for all the parts and tools in addition to a workshop (which will have a/c).

The beauty of it is that the way we devised the garages, you can't tell they are garages and also you can't see any garage door from the street. The problem will be backing up the trailer up a little hill and long driveway into the garage.

In the motorcourt we will have an exterior closet which will have a powerplant on one half and the other half will house the car wash supplies so these are handy from the motorcourt.

If interested let me know and I'l post more details of the design when i get back home. We are shooting to begin construction towards the end of the year looking to move in approx February 2008. The house will be very nice too.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Juan, that sounds like an intersting design. I'd like to see more when it gets going. But having grown up in Hollywood and lived in Ft. Lauderdale (Rio Vista) I wonder where you have enough land to build your compound? We just finshed our new detached 26x30 to add to the 2.5 car attached garage. Now I need some more cars, my '73 looks lonely.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Gburner
    Ray sounds kinda like Paul's http://www.autokennel.com/Page1.html.
    Auto Asylum (Auto Storage Services):
    One of the challenges of living in Southern California is the lack of garage space. I constantly hear my friends talking about not having enough space to park their toys. They fight over space with their spouses and kids. I think we all wish we had our own "perfect garage"...no kids' toys, bikes, holiday stuff, etc. AutoKennel is now accepting applications to allow you to have your very own "AutoAsylum". This can be your little piece of "automotive heaven"- a museum quality space where you can park your special vehicle and a comfortable and relaxing environment where you can spend some quality time with your 4-wheel mistress. You will enjoy a peaceful club-like atmosphere with other like-minded enthusiasts. Asylum services will offer personal web cameras and webspace, vehicle delivery services and vehicle spa services (detailing, coordinating mechanical services and other repairs, etc.). Enjoy flexible lease arrangements to fit your automotive lifestyle. Please contact us directly for more information.
    This San Diego 6 car with car ports was $40k, just add land.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tom,

My partner is building his new house just south of Rio Vista (SE13th Street) and he must go up 3 storeys to be able to fit his 4500sq ft home...

I'm building out in Windmill Lakes in Weston. Its an enclosed community that allows custom homes and every lot is over 1.1 acres. I have one of the biggest lots there and will use most of it....

Go get yourself some more early cars, you can never have too many.

My current problem is that I store my trailer in west Pembroke (Sheridan & US27), my race car is in Stuart as is my 69S. That is a 1.5 hour drive just to get to them.....

Cheers, Juan
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ErVikingo
    My current problem is that I store my trailer in west Pembroke (Sheridan & US27), my race car is in Stuart as is my 69S. That is a 1.5 hour drive just to get to them.....
    At least it's close to Moroso, right? Makes it tough for running at Homestead though... Good luck with the building.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Ray Crawford...

speak with Duane Hyatt regarding this subject.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399