Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 73 RS Specs vs 74 Euro RS Specs

73 RS Specs vs 74 Euro RS Specs

OK, other than the obvious (bumpers, seats, dash, etc.) what are the differences? Motors are basically identical, what about suspension, brakes, etc.? Thanks.

Same stuff but the rear "bananas" are aluminum on the '74 cars which are better. Same engine though, in a heavier car.

They were smokin' good deals at one time. Somebody in Charlotte NC had one for sale in Pano for about 2 years (or it seemed like it!). Don't know what the outcome was but he was asking the moon for it.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Curt,

I had a '75 Carrera 2.7 for 13 years.
    The only mechanical difference I am aware of is the different front sway bar and the alloy bananas.
    Great driver !! - but I only have one garage and a budget for one car
    Otherwise I would like to have kept it.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Not all engines exactly the same. Some magnesium, some silumin.

So I have a question for you. What is the difference between silumin and alusil both used around this time?
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

As I understand it:

SILUMIN covers a range of Aluminium/Silicon alloys with a silicon content in the 4-22% range (plus traces of copper, manganese & magnesium).

ALUSIL (which is patented by Kolbenschmidt) covers a much narrower range of Aluminium/Silicon alloys with a silicon content of 16-18%
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Smile

Andy, have you considered seeking help..........
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

One more question: what is the official name of the '74 Euro version? Is it a 'Carrera' or a 'Carrera RS'? I've seen both used. Thanks. -- Curt

Curt-
    If I remember correctly, the 2.7/MFI Euro is a Carrera. The RS of that year was
    a 3.0.
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065

Quote Originally Posted by real550A
    Curt-
    If I remember correctly, the 2.7/MFI Euro is a Carrera. The RS of that year was
    a 3.0.

Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Not RS

The 1974, 1975, and 111 2.7 1976's are correctly referred to as Carreras. The rest of the 1976 production was with the 3.0 aluminum engine of the SC type and there was no USA model in 1976 althought the Turbo was a Turbo Carrera and was imported into the USA. These were referred to as "Rest of World" cars by the factory designations. These ROW models were exported to all markets except the USA. This differentiated them from the USA models. Actually there were approximately 1200 1974's and in the low 500's for the 1975 production. These cars had the same engine as in the 1973 RS. Although a few of the 1973 RS's had aluminum engines they are rare and none of the later year Carreras were produced with the aluminum 2.7 engine. Except for the obvious cosmetic changes of the short hood model these cars are very similiar to a 911S. They cannot be considered like touring RS's because none were never produced with light sheet metal. But... with the flared fender, the duck tail of the 1973, and the greater width wheels they are very similiar to the touring that was of the later RS production (no light panels). The weight differential is not that great (around 125 lbs) and was due to the chassis bracing for the bumper shock mounting, the shocks themselves, and the aluminum bumper. As has been noted the aluminum trailing arms, and redesigned front stabalizer bar were standard and the electrical fuse panel was relocated and a single battery was fitted. The front aluminum crossmember of the front suspension that was fitted to the RS's was not incorporated into the standard 911 until the 1978 SC. There were also some interior changes mostly with the mounting of the front seats and the design change with an incorporated head rest into the seat back.
    I own two of these mid year Carreras one a USA model and one a ROW car. I enjoy them both although as anyone who has a 2.7 RS type motor knows there is a great joy in driving the car with that powerplant and it completely changes the personality of the car. These are both great cars which have been neglected by early 911 Porsche lovers who feel they can't compare to the 1973 and earlier long hoods.