Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Selling my '70S Coupe

Thinking of Selling my '70S Coupe

Guys,

My heart has not been in this car for about a year now, and it deserves someone who can finish it up. And I need the time to spend on other priorities.

Anyway, it is a Burgundy '70S coupe that someone put an aftermarket sunroof on. I bonded a Getty fiberglass roof panel under the steel section.

Some specifics:

- Purchased in Oct 2000
    - No COA - paint code color plate and Carello H1's lead me to believe it was originally delivered to Italy
    - All original pan, including front suspension mounts
    - There was rust in the inner and outer rockers and the lower door jambs. I replaced them and kept the front cooler lines inside the right side rocker
    - Aluminum deck lid needs repaired. Was hit but is repairable
    - 4 Deep Six Alloys
    - Engine came with Webers. Previous owner showed me pictures of the engine rebuild shortly before I bought it. Was told it had almost everything new. Pictures verified it. I ran this engine for about 200 miles in my '66 911 and it is strong. I have almost the entire 2.2S MFI. Missing injectors and 3 throttle rods.
    - Excellent interior - no cracks in dash at all. Door panels are not cut and are excellent. Will need new floor mats.
    - Car is in black epoxy primer and gray primer. Bodywork will need finished before color. Have more primers, the original color, and the clear.
    - Previous owner said transaxle operated fine. I don't know - it goes in all gears. I have a new clutch. It is the type 911 transaxle.

Basically, I've come to a standstill doing the final bodywork. Alternatively, if someone knows a decent body person to help me finish this part, I'll spray it and put it back together. I know these cars very well and can put it back together correctly.

So... debating what to do here. If I sell it, I'm thinking $20K.

Rob - 401 368-1964
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Need more information about your car

Hello Rob
    I'm Pedro from Lisbon, Portugal. I have a 1971 mint condition 911S 2,2, but I'm now very interested in having another 911S to prepare as a road rally car in events like Tour España, Tour of Portugal and others in Europe.
    I already have an original 2,3 S/T engine but now I need an S chassis.
    I think your car might suit me, but I need more information.Is it a matching numbers car?
    Could you please send pictures of the car as you bought it and as it is now?
    Where do you leave in the US? It is important for transport costs.
    Regards
    Pedro
    pcm911s
    911S 2,2 1971
    Portugal

Pedro,

I sold my last Porsche to a gentleman from The Netherlands. We shipped my car through the port of New York, and I'd be willing to do it again. The problem is that the car is mostly apart.

Also, I will be unable to take pictures of the car in its current state because I have some personal business to attend to until Monday. I have some pictures of the car in various states of assembly and will send some to those who desire them.

Lastly, I will sell this car sometime soon. Either now or right after it is back together. Other priorities are higher, and I'm going to sell all of my Porsche stuff (30 years worth) over the next couple months.

Regards,

Rob
    Other Early 911/912/914

Ron
    please remeber that I am very far away, and I will not buy a car unless I have lots of information that will make me feel comfortable.
    Then I will go and visit you and we will arrange all matters of transportation. I need to know if it's a matching numbers car, Vin numbers, engine number, and pictures.
    I am not in a hurry so I can wait.
    If you want don't hesitate in contacting me in my email:
    pcorreamendes@workmedia.pt

Regards
    Pedro
    pcm911s
    911S 2,2 1971
    Portugal

Rob what other stuff are you going to sell, intrested?

Thank You all for the EMails, PM's and phone calls. I'm still not at my home yet - taking care of my woman who had breast cancer surgery. I'm on dialup.

I found some pics of my 70S on the computer, but they are all 1MB each - too large to send while here on dialup.

I'll try to answer some questions here:

- As far as I know, the engine is original. Previous owner believed it was and the number seems to match closely with the chassis number.

- The pan is solid - the only rust on it was the front torsion bar mount on the right side (and only the lower portion of it). Rather than replace the entire front pan, I welded in new steel. There was VERY LITTLE surface rust on the bottom of the pan from stone chips. All these have been cleaned up and painted now. The longitudinals and torsion tube are rust free (not free rust - lol). The rear parcel tray is excellent.

- I sold the 66 911 already.

- My 67 coupe is a rust bucket, but I have a bunch of parts from it - pretty much the entire car except the case and crank. I have two sets of webers with manifolds. I recently rebuilt one set with 2 new floats and ran them on the 70S. The other set is from the 67 and needs rebuilt.

- I have a complete 914 Weber 40 IDF conversion kit. Never used. Includes distributor

- (5) 5 1/2 X 14 Fuchs with period correct Michelin XWS or XAS tires in excellent shape. (2) 16 X 6 polished Fuchs with brand new tires. (3) 16 X 7 black Fuchs. I also have a couple wide (7 or 8 inches) Steelies somewhere around.

- I have new fiberglass 69-73 front fenders, front bumper, and rear deck lid. I was going to do a mid year backdate.

- a couple 901 or 914 transaxles

- Pretty much entire parts from two 68 targas. The interiors are excellent. These are actually owned by my father, but I think I can convince him to sell what is there. At least my mother will help add some pressure... lol.

Upon my return home Monday, I'll send out and/or post pictures.

Thanks Again,

Rob
    Other Early 911/912/914

Quote Originally Posted by roblav
    - My 67 coupe is a rust bucket, but I have a bunch of parts from it
    Rob-

Is there any chance that you still have this weenie interior part from the '67? It is the chrome trim ring from the door handle pushbutton. One was lost from my car during the interior resto many years ago, and I have searched high and low for another to make a pair, but they are NLA.

I would be eternally grateful to be able to buy one from you, if possible.

Thx,
    TT
    ps-sorry to hear about your S.O.'s illness--I wish her a speedy and complete recovery. My mother-in-law had breast cancer surgery almost 30 years ago now and is still going strong!
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Tom,

I believe that piece was only on SWB S's, so - sorry - I don't have it.

Thanks for the support.

Rob
    Other Early 911/912/914

Rob
    It has been quite some time now!
    Are you still interested in selling your 911S?
    I am coming from Portugal to New York and could visit you to see the car if you live neerby.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Pedro
    pcm911s
    911S 2,2 1971
    Portugal

Yes, it has been some time now, and I apologise. It seems that, with my girfriend's issues, that I became weak and probably a bit crazy for thinking of selling this car. Now that sanity prevails, I will keep the car. Throughout my life, I've had many early 911's, always looking for the next better one. A long time ago, I had decided that the one I wanted was a 1970 911S coupe. And now I have one, in the color that I like too.

Here is a pic of the car in May 2005.

Thanks for understanding.

Regards,

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Other Early 911/912/914