Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing speedometer - 73E

removing speedometer - 73E

Hey guys, my speedometer whacked out on our trip to Virginia. Speedo moves a little but reads wrong, usually either 35 or 90mph. But since the odometer rotates fine and the cable is only about a year old, I'm pretty sure it's the guage. So I'll send the unit off to North Hollywood to get checked.

My question is, I can't remember how I need to remove the trip reset cable. Or do I remove it? If needed, I guess it can be taken out of it's hole where it runs through the dash. But I can't tell if I can remove it from the back of the guage. It looks like the plastic base may slide out, but I don't want to just guess and break something. Anyone here with experience on this?
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Remove the reset cable/knob from the dash. The cable stays with the speedo. You can have NH refurb the cable and knob while you're at it.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Thanks Bill.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

I'm reviving this thread because I can't find a thread on replacing an early speedo. Mine is back from North Hollywood and I'm thinking I've got to pull out most of the heater box to access where the guage clamps mount. Haynes manual makes it seem like you can reach right in but my hands can fit but then I can't see S**T. Anybody have instructions online here?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Joe,

When I do any gauge work on my '69 I have to pull the blower aseembly out fo the way. Can't give you directions from memory though, sorry.
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

69 and older cars have the gauges that are held in one the back with knurled nuts. The 70 cars and newer are just held in with the rubber seal around the gauge. Much easier to remove 70+ gauges
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RSwannabe
    Joe,

When I do any gauge work on my '69 I have to pull the blower aseembly out fo the way. Can't give you directions from memory though, sorry.
    I'm planning on removing the blower to check the motor anyway and I'm going to do the wiper reversal as well so its all coming out I guess. Just hope I don't end up with too much extra hardware.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

For the pre-70 thumbscrew gauge 911's, the blower motor does not have to come out in order to remove the tach or speedo gauges. It just takes some dexterity. Another way to do it if the thumbscrews are frozen in place is to remove the clock. Once the clock is removed you can get to the gauge next to it - and so forth.
    I have spent more than my share of hours operating on my gauges upside down in the trunk with a pair of needle nose pliers. It CAN be doen w/out pulling out the blower assembly.

Remove the clock to get your hand behind the speedo to connect the cable. The odometer knob is held on by a small allan bolt. Remove the allan bolt and the screw holding the thing in place and push it through.

The tricky part is the wiring for the light bulbs in the speedo. Don’t pull too hard on the wires to get them out. I cut the wires and spliced them back together upon re-installation.

Warning. I sent North Hollywood my speedo to be rebuilt with the light bulbs still in it. It came back with a short, caused by one of the light bulbs, that melted a bunch of wires in my dash. A month later the needle literally fell off. They took no responsibility.

Chris
    73 911 E

Ok now..... getting the guage back in.

I ordered some gaskets for my guages and as I am fitting them to the speedo and clock, I realize the guages stick out further than stock and discovered these rubbers are for later model cars. Is there a correct guage gasket to use, or do I just use hat I used on my clock..... electricians tape?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937