Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum rules...

Question Forum rules...

Please help me out here guys...

I'm having trouble with FOR SALE posts that end in OR BEST OFFER ...

It would seem that only confusion, misinterpretation, and 'subjectivity' can only come the way of the potential buyers... I'm I wrong ?

This forum is not an auction and certinly not eBay ...

It would seem that a stated price should be the rule on this board like it is on others...

Please tell me and your fellow board members what you think........

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

As far as I know, "Or Best Offer" ususally means that the seller's willing to agree to a lower price than the one listed. That's how swap meets work and it's how people find deals.

I look at OBO as an invitation to make an offer.

If multiple people want a certain item than it's the seller's fault if he/she doesn't ask for more at the outset; the first person to meet the seller's original selling price should be the one who gets the item.

If people choose to participate in "silent auctions" via PMs then that's their decision. But I don't believe that a bidding war should be held in the public forum ... keep it private.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Chuck - thank you for bringing this up.

I don't understand the Auction or Make Offer style approach in the classifieds. If the seller is...selling an item then list the price. If the owner of an item is not actively selling then indeed I would make you an offer. The Auction style approach should be "reserved" for Ebay.

OBO is acceptable because a price has been stated and may or may not be negotiable. I completely agree with Mr9146.

Also, I think it's funny how people need to add their .02 in a listing even though they have no interest in the part(s) for sale. Then they act so innocent when you call them on it.

Look how this "auction" played out:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=296154
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

obo

Chuck,I've got involved in this type of sale about 8 mos ago;and walked away;car still not sold has lower price below what I WAS willing to pay;now when I see make offer or best offer I just walk;either it's for sale or not. e- bay for auctions

I don't see a problem with OBO prices. The seller will put a BIN (Buy It Now) price but will then but OBO / ONO (or nearest offer) after that just in case.

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Chuck,

Every seller should post a price he is willing to sell at. It is up to the seller to do the market research so he has a realistic idea of what an item or car will sell for.

Some post “Sale at $xxx Firm.” I interpret this as take it or leave it. Most who post like this don’t sell the item.

Most post “Sale asking $yyy, OBO.” I interpret this as “I would like $yyy but will entertain offers lower. So long as $yyy isn’t an unreasonably high price this is a very acceptable post. Clearly the seller will sell at that price. Now it is up to the buyer to do the market research and determine his acceptable buy offer.

If an offer is to be substantially less than the asking price, it should be explained in one of two ways: I can buy this new from ZZ at some price or I am only willing to pay 30% $yyy because ….

The seller is free to say “Absolutely not.” or “I’ll think about it.” or “How about 70% $yyy?” This is the usual interplay between buyer and seller. Both parties should remain flexible if a deal is to be struck. A buyer is free to walk away. A seller can always take it off the market but I feel there is a moral obligation to complete a sale once offered otherwise it is just a "fishing expidetion." This tends to tic people off and the item may never sell.

Occasionally someone will have something they just want to get rid of and not throw it away. It is reasonable to post “Make me an offer.” I interpret this as “Give me some incentive to go to the effort to package and ship it.”

The Forum classifieds are just a communication medium, like the newspaper. It is not an auction house. This is not to say a seller can’t have two or more buyers and solicit the highest offer. That is not unusual. Of course there is the old “used car salesman” ploy, “I have another buyer if you don’t want it (at my price).” Some times true, most often not.

Last February Pelican disallowed comments (posts) of the Cars For Sale Forum because people (not buyers) were becoming too critical of the car for sale. It might be useful to review other forum’s policies – not just in the Porsche world.

Best,
    Grady

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Clay
    Last February Pelican disallowed comments (posts) of the Cars For Sale Forum because people (not buyers) were becoming too critical of the car for sale. It might be useful to review other forum’s policies – not just in the Porsche world.
    I am guessing that most people like this new approach by Pelican. However, I do not.
    While I do not like the idea of anyone with an axe to grind being able to complement or pick apart someone's car when it is listed for sale in the classifieds section, I do feel that it is important that potential buyers be made aware of sellers' whose reputations precede them. I for one would like to know if someone knows the car that is for sale, even if it's not their own, or knows the seller. In our little community of long hood junkies, I value greatly many of the senior members on this board who know the car or know the backround of the seller, and speak out for or against them.
    Without the ability to call someone to the mat on their car - like MVP (aka Mr. 911RS #406), some trusting buyer could have been burned hard buying that car...
    Occassionally some of the comments here can be a little abrasive. But that doesn't have to be the case. As long as a certain level of respect and civility is exercised, things should be able to not get too heated.
    In the few instances where I have been involved in heated disagreements with someone in the Porsche community, I always try to end the correspondence by politely reminding the other person (and myself when necessary) that despite our differences, at the end of the day we can still agree on one thing - and that is our mutual love of early 911's....
    We don't all have to like each other here, we just have to show a little common courtesy.

Thanks guys, I'm reading all your comments

And SORRY... my 'or best offer' comment was incorrect, I was meaning to say MAKE OFFER....

Anyway, I'll look at some classified posting rules on some other forums and try to come up with something ...

Please keep your comments coming...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    …I do feel that it is important that potential buyers be made aware of sellers' whose reputations precede them. I for one would like to know if someone knows the car that is for sale, even if it's not their own, or knows the seller.
    and
    Without the ability to call someone to the mat on their car - like MVP (aka Mr. 911RS #406), some trusting buyer could have been burned hard buying that car...

I agree that it is desirable (necessary) to call a fraud to the mat. I think that can best be done on this “Discussion Forum.”

If you look at the alleged faux RS ‘406 threads; there are four on this Discussion Forum totaling 145 posts and 11,935 views plus the one on Pelican of 331 posts, 24,998 views and 17 pages in only 40 days. Certainly no lack of ability to “…call someone to the mat on their car….”

I notice Rennlist has a “bad guy” list List of SCAMMERS trolling Rennlist.
    http://www.rennlist.com/scam/index.htm

Best,
    Grady

Red face

Good point. I guess when you have the ability to say something about a car or a seller under a different forum, it serves the same purpose. But bearing that in mind, why not let somone just make their statement on the same thread where the car is being offered?