Thread: 916 info

916 info

Howdy all:
    Since there nothing to do while wating for parts, but twitch from porsche withdrawal . I was spending some time re-reading BA's book for the millionth time and finally noticed the specs on the 916 and fostered a few questions!
    1. did they use the 'common' 2.0 head casting? I noticed the valves are listed as 46/40 which would let you use the 'cheapie' 2.2 valves. For grins I dropped a 2.2 intake into a 68S head and it fits with room to spare. Anyone done this on say a set of 69S heads (to avoid too much tricky bowl reworking)?

2. was the 916 basicly a 906 'long block' with different camtrays and chains? If so, that would be an interesting part to whip up on a CNC. The extra 1k in redline would make a nice 'safety margin'. With out all those rockers, I can see spinning to 9k.

Finally, anyone know why the factory seemed to drop development? Paul Frere said in his book that the drivers didn't like the power so they used the older single cam motor. I did notice that the intake timing specs match the C6 cam, but the exhaust is quite different which makes me wonder if that might have been the cause of the 'weirdness' and if they ever tried using the C6 exhaust specs as well.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

tadd

Bump...
    Bump...
    Bump...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

If memory serves, the 916 was powered by a 2.4S with MFI. It used a rear shift 915 trans which is basically a stock 915 with a special nose cone.

The 916 wasn't really designed as a racecar, but it did have a fixed metal top, GT flares, and special front and rear bumpers. There was a front oil cooler in the nose with the lines running through the interior.

I believe only 12-16 were built, and the ones that were built were hack and slash jobs done in a hurry in the race shop. The fit and finish was pathetic at best. If you want to know specifics, George Hussey of Automobile Atlanta has one and you can probably find info on his website.

As far as why they only built a few, well, it's the same reason Porsche doesn't build a Cayman with a 3.6 or 3.8 ... it would outclass and outperform the 911. Also, because they were such custom jobbies, they were ungodly expensive to produce in relation to what they could be sold for.

-Marco
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Isn't chemistry always nano?

Sorry my fault

That is the car 916, I was asking about the motor 916. Some were used in the 911R, but the drivers didn't like them because they were too peaky. I had not found too much on them so I posted a few questions...

tadd

Gotta be specific around here. You never know what kind of Porsche info you might get.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687