Thread: Torque value, steel wheel nuts on the track

Torque value, steel wheel nuts on the track

Guys,

This is my first time using Toyo race tires at a DE. I plan to use 205 x 15RA1's on 15x7 cookies. For safety and security, I was thinking about using the steel lug nuts from my 912. Is it a good idea to use steel against the aluminum cookies? If so, do I use the same torque value as the aluminum nuts (95 lbs)? Or should I just use the aluminum wheel nuts? I suspect that the steel nuts won't be on long enough for any electrolysis problems with the aluminum.

Thanks. My son and I are off to Putnam Park, Indiana for the Labor Day weekend in the 73 2.7 MFI coupe. We tried out the new tires over the week end on the back roads of Clermont County. Mercy!. What a difference from street tires. "Wie ein Floh.. Aber, Aho!!!!" Looking forward to the track.

John, aka The Capitalist Roader

Thumbs up

John,

I use steel lug nuts torqued the same as the alloys on my alternate set of 7's & 8's with DOT's

I re-torque every time I go out (a habit I got into while crewing back in the day) ... Not sure how old your son is but it might be something to get him into... Torquing the wheels, setting the pressures, and taken times for the 'old man'

BTW- Be sure to put a wrench on all the front and rear suspension nuts and bolts you can get to and give'm'a tug ... Those new DOT's will load that 33 year old suspension of yours like it's never been before...

BTWII- The DOT's should be good for about a full 3 second difference on a technical track ....

Have a GREAT time... and give'm hell...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck,

Thanks for the thoughts, especially the additional suggestion on suspension bolts. As it works out my son and I changed all the A arm bushings when we added the aluminum front calipers and front oil cooler to the car. He's 24 now and fast becoming insufferable. Last time at Mid Ohio he was about a second faster than I was. Now he can't stop talking about how much faster he'll be with the competition tires. I told him that if the son does not do better than Dad, then Dad has not been a good teacher. He says that I'm just making excuses.

Thanks again,

John

John,

He might be right...

'Rights of passage' is one thing ........ I'd say go and kick his ass...

Last time I was at the track I beat up on a thirty-something in a GT-3
    ... granted, he was a novice driver... but... it sure give this geezer a very warm and squishy feeling ...

Cheers bud,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck,

Your comment brings to mind one of my favorite vintage Rolling Stones titles from one of the first albums: "It's the singer, not the song".!!!!

John