Thread: Original Paint

Original Paint

Anyone know where I can get some original paint for the early 911's? I'm hoping to get some of the original color by the original mfg. Is this possible and does anyone have a lead as to where I could order some?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom dance
    Anyone know where I can get some original paint for the early 911's? I'm hoping to get some of the original color by the original mfg. Is this possible and does anyone have a lead as to where I could order some?
    Tom

Generally Glasurit was used - they've now remade the old laquer to try and get as close to the old colours as possible - try checking their website out for dealers in your area?

http://www.glasurit.com/

We made up over 40 samples to get the 'exact' colour match for my Light Yellow RS But it was worth the effort

HTH

P
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Haven't looked at the site for a while - check out the 'Search for a formula' function under the 'Colour' button on the banner bar - enter the model, year and colour and hey presto - the complete mixing formula for the colour - cool

P
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Anyone know where I can get some original paint for the early 911's?
    John Willhoit (Porsche restorer) paint his restorations w/ Glasurit. He also sells spray samples. May be he can do it the other way around as well, you send him a piece w/ the original paint and have him match it and than you order the quantity you need.

For more information: http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/PaintChart.htm

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by tom dance
    Tom
    Tom,
    Besides being the paint used by the factory back in the day, Glasurit is also still today one of the best paints on the market. And it is more expensive...
    The only distributor I knw of for Glasurit is Albert Kemperle who are a national company. You can try Googling them to see if there are any shops in your neck of the woods, or try the local Yellow Pages. If you can't find any, you can try contacting BASF who now owns Glasurit (BASF HQ is located in Ohio). They will let you know who the local Glasurit distributor is. If that fails, here is the tel for the Albert Kemperle shop where I bought mine a few years ago.
    Albert Kemperle of Florida. 6701 Garden Rd # 2 , West Palm Beach , FL tel (772)465-6900
    Kemperle can look up the correct paint mix based upon your color code and model year in their computer system, mix it and send it to you.
    They can mix you any sample or formula in their system, but a half pint of Glasurit runs around $50. Kemperle sells a lesser quality paint which I used to mix my samples. That cost only around $15 per sample. Once comfortable with the color, I then bought the gallon of Glasurit, clear etc.. to do the car.
    Glasurit is definitely the way to go if you are looking to maintain originality and looking for a paint that will hold up well over time.

Thanks guys. I tried Albert Kemple and there is one about 2 hrs away so I will get it there.
    I've got a survivor 70 911S that has all original paint on it. Very nice overall but I did want to touch it up a bit and wanted to make sure that I got the right stuff for this one. It sure is worth it. Thanks again.
    Tom