Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gorgeous 68S in the new issue of Total 911!

Gorgeous 68S in the new issue of Total 911!

What a beautiful car in Albert Blue. Does it belong to any one here? The author calls it a 67S but it has 68 door panels, gauges, rear view mirror, elephant hyde dashboard and 68-69 door handles. This is the same issue with the R Gruppe article which FINALLY came out late this week at the local Borders.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Thumbs up

Maybe one of our UK members knows of the car .... Gorgeous

Pic from the magazine taken by Alisdair Cusick
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Yes, very nice car. I love Albert Blue! I was wondering about that 67-68 thing. Saw a few errors in that story, but well written otherwise.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

The UK tends to refer to the date it was made and regestered rather than model year. Early 68 built in late 67 would be regestered and referred to as a 67.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Cool Clouds and patina

Loved the article. I also realized that non metallic dark paint looked often best without direct sunlight, on a cloudy day. It gives it greater depth and highlights the patina.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Don't know who's car it is but it is for sale at a dealer here in the UK.
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Wink

How much is he asking for it?

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp
    Don't know who's car it is but it is for sale at a dealer here in the UK.
    Regards
    Mike
    it is owned by Richard, one of the 'Gmund Car' people
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

It was really nice to see an article about a SWB car. With a name like "total 911" they've got to get the specs right though.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

TOTAL 911 '67S Article

Although I enjoyed seeing a SWB 911S featured, I was amazed at the huge number of inaccuracies in the current Total 911 article by Kevin Hackett on the '67S.

Before I begin my criticism I want to acknowledge that I'm lucky to own both '67S and '73S coupes. I've owned them for many years before they became icons and expensive.

In short, I respect opinions about cars...they are subjective and everyone has his/her right to their opinion. But I don't respect glaring errors about features, functions, capabilities, etc. That's not subjective...that's not doing your homework...or not knowing what your are talking about. Unfortunately this TOTAL 911 article about a British SWB 911S was way off the mark.

First...a couple of the objective errors: levers on each side of the handbrake "these levers disapppeared when fuel injection came along"...Wrong...these levers continued at least until 1973...they are in my '73S. Next: "the S was blessed with...Weber 40 IDA carbs"...my '67S and I think all '67S cars have 40 ID"S" carbs. Front bumper weights..."this early example "car" doesnt' have...the extra weights...implying they were used later. These weights were used in '67 & 68...the next year, 1969...(this car is a '68 model) they were gone... no longer necessary with the longer wheelbase. There are lots more inaccuries. I won't bore you...you've already noticed them if you're an early 911 person.

But the most important errors are subjective. They are about the character of the early 911S car. Kevin talks about the lack of performance in the '67S. Hello?...is this guy capable of running a car up to it's 7,300 redline? Has anyone not driven any early "S" and not felt the incredible surge of power that hits about 5,000RPM and runs up to 7,000RPM? It's just short of a turbo kicking in. Kevin...did you ever use this car the way it was intended?

Bottem line. I was disappointed in the article. Yes, this is an old car (it's a 1968S...not a '67S but the specs are the same) but it has an excitement level when driven properly that few cars...if any...built today have. It's rough, it has no torque below 5,000RPM, but once you get up on the cams about 5,000RPM it's race breeding shines through...it will put you back in your seat...as do on all 911S cars thru 1973...

So...Kevin, thanks for the article and nice pictures...but I suggest...with all due respect...that you try another old 911S...and drive it as it was meant to be driven...and I volunteer either of my old cars...and again...with all due respect...a little coaching to explore high RPM driving... (drive any '67S or '73S if you want to really see what makes the early '67-'73 - 911S cars so special)...and why they won so many races...and why they are still revered today as a pure driver's car...

I respect what you say about new Porsches...they are fabulous...but they will never have the character or the pedigree of the early 911's...

Rich