Thread: 1968 Porsche 911 from the movie Spy Game starring Robert Redford & Brad Pitt!!

1968 Porsche 911 from the movie Spy Game starring Robert Redford & Brad Pitt!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

There were 2-4 cars used for the movie, one of which was a green 912 owned by our Chief Tech inspector/instructors in Potomac PCA. He still competes in it regularly at SP and is often referred to as "Hollywood" due to this connection.

Oddly enough, I think Redford specifically requested a green 912 (vs. 911). He was a Porsche owner in the past. Search the NOVA "Dorki" site...

I think our member will be interested to see what HIS car is actually worth!
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

<<Original color was white, but was custom painted for the movie.>>

It looks like the 'custom' paint didn't include painting the rear latch plate where the various decals are applied. Surely this can't be what it appears to be.

Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Redford must have gained some weight during filming because that driver seat cushion looks pretty worn down

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds
    <<Original color was white, but was custom painted for the movie.>>

It looks like the 'custom' paint didn't include painting the rear latch plate where the various decals are applied. Surely this can't be what it appears to be.

the door jam is the same way.
    Early S Registry #913

From what I heard, these movie makers can spray a whole car in a matter of hours and be satisfied for movie purposes (i.e. I want a green 912 - they will get one the next day).

They actually showed up at Summit Point on a weekend I was doing a DE and asked for a green 912. "Hollywood" lucked out. They were filming in DC at the time. I'm not sure about the details of the contract. I for one would be pretty nervous lending my car to a movie company.....think "LeMans"
    I think his original green 912 was left unscathed.

Now what the Porsche purist is left with is paint job worse than Maaco and a collective groan...for $75K!
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

From here: http://www.912registry.org/history.htm

In the Movies

In 'Spy Game' Robert Redford relies upon his Porsche 912 coupe. Gavin Joule reports: "Hi Rick, My car was used for the movie 'Spy Game' starring Robert Redford (he drives) and Brad Pitt...... My car is easy to spot, here's some pointers if you're freeze framing. 1. Alarm detectors on inner door/window post (top apex of quarter window). 2. Hella (yellow) fogs. 3. Lowered suspension. 4. Polished Fuchs. 5. Passenger headrest lower than drivers. 6. Hella H4 (modern) headlamps. I know for sure 'Bob' and Brad drove my car, and Brad even took Jenny around the lot!" ( check out the cars in Chapters 4 and 18 on the DVD ). Like racecar teams, film crews sometimes have multiple cars, and Kurt Mickelwait also reports his '69 912 "was one of the 912s used in the Movie "Spy Game". I use it as a Drivers Ed car and also run in time trials (first in class GT6 Potomac 2001). 1969 Irish Green webers 1720 much done to motor, suspension and brakes."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Opening bid lowered to $40,000! Now's your chance!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa