Thread: Headlight, high beam question

Headlight, high beam question

I have a 71 T that I installed H4s on recently and tonight I noticed that the temporary high beam I activate by pulling the turn signal stalk no longer operates. The highbeams still work when I push the turn signal stalk forward as before, but they no longer turn on when I pull it. This is true whether I have the headlights on or not -- no high beams when I pull the stalk. Is this related to the H4s? Or should I just assume that after 35 years the stalk has gone bad? Thanks for any advice,
    SCOTT

Porsche did not use relays so these switches tend to go bad, they are also mechanically fragile. What wattage bulbs are you using with your H4's.
    Phil

I just got into this area on my '66 this weekend. In my case, a 40 year-old solder joint broke loose, happened to be the one in the center of the push-pull High/Low beam column switch, so no headlights at all! Fun to discover THAT at 8:30 at night! An afternoon's work with the soldering iron fixed it.

It took me a few hours to diagnose mine, having only a black-and-white copy of the wiring diagram for the '66. If you are handy with reading the wiring diagram and using a voltmeter, you might do some detective work yourself. The problem could be a wire that fell off somewhere in the circuit between the ignition switch and the column switch. There is a separate wire that feeds the intermittent side of the switch (so that you can flash without the headlights being on). Worst case, it might be a broken leaf on the column switch, in which case you'll need a new (expensive)switch. Try troubleshooting it first, you might be lucky and need just a wire repair.

Adam912.out.

Thanks for the response, i will start tracing the wires first to see if a connection has been broken. The stalk feels just the same as before, so hopefully the switch itself is not broken. Something to do this weekend.
    SCOTT