Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpoint? lots of pre-74 cars

Carpoint? lots of pre-74 cars

I came by this dealer surfing the internet. They have a lot of early cars, but they really don’t look to good any of them, especially considering the pricing?

John

http://www.carpoint.de/germansite/an...&MARKE=porsche
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Some of the prices seem pretty high. One thing that stick out for me is about halfway down there is a 2.2 911S - I'm 99% sure that it's Milts / Zekes from the Pelican site and was sold over there after asking for $18k USD - now for sale for ~35Euros!

AM

Quote Originally Posted by andrew15
    Some of the prices seem pretty high. One thing that stick out for me is about halfway down there is a 2.2 911S - I'm 99% sure that it's Milts / Zekes from the Pelican site and was sold over there after asking for $18k USD - now for sale for ~35Euros!

AM
    That is indeed my old car, but I have the license plate which was sent to me by the 1st of 2 CA buyers. So, the pics are dated and I bet the car doesn't have all the stickers on it now. But, who knows, maybe it does. I thought that stuff was all kind of personal and would be removed on a car being "flipped."

The 2nd buyer was the one that exported the car. I was told that someone, possibly a dock worker driving the car off the ship, bent some valves. It wasn't a good running car, fast, yes, but not good running as it had low compression on the no 6 cyl which was fully disclosed. If the car got a rebuilt motor as a result, it's worth all of the 27,000 they are asking, beleive me. I'd be tempted to buy it back if it were local and had the new motor. If the motor is not new, buyer beware. I did replace the tranny for the 1st buyer with a good used one. That's the only concession I made on the price and I offered it without being asked.

What car are 27000? Maybe I am looking at the wrong car, are you discussing the cool two tone 71 2,2S in silver and flat black? If so 34911 euro are 44300$?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Ah, sorry. Never been to Europe, never used anyone else's money. So, I didn't convert it correctly. They can ask what they want. Thanks for pointing it out. And, yes, I'd know my own car.

Also guys, to this you must add, imoprt fees and vat, wich here in europe are very expensive, and tehn after that you must do and equavelnt of a dot, and then inspect, then fix all major work, by the tiem you finish tha car is worth 55 K euros for a god S or more

In all due respect Platas, I have to beg to differ with you here.

Let's go thru the numbers here again.
    Currently, the exchange rate of the Euro to the dollar is approx US$1.28 - Euro$1.00. Oddly enough, the import tax (into Germany anyway) is 27%. So once the exchange rate and import taxes are factored on, the exchange rate puts the comparative value of any car imported form the USA to Europe at basically 1 to 1.
    Now, as regards getting the car licensed and titled in Europe, Germany as far as I am aware has by far the toughest inspection requirements in Europe.
    If you take Milt's ex-2.2S for example, you would need to do the following at a minimum in order to get the car titled in Germany
    1) changeover front and rear lenses to Euro. The rears must be tri-colored with orange as the turn indicator light, red as the stop, and white as reverse. The front lenses must be orange for the turn and white for the running/park light.
    2) Change the headlights to at least H1 headlights (H4's are more than acceptable option since they are easy to buy and only cost around $325 for a good set.
    3) Changover the speedometer from MPH to KPH (although I have been told this is not entirely necessary). While I changed mine over, the TUV people said that I could simply mark the MPH speedo with a marker if I wanted to save money.
    Otherwise, the car must simply be in good running condition, which means that there can be no substantial rust on the car which could make it a danger in the event of an accident, the car must have good brakes, all of the lights must work, the tires must be in good shape and be rated at least to the level of the top end speed capability of the specific car (in the case of a 2.2S which on paper is suppossed to be able to do a top end speed of around 140MPH, the car must have Z rated tires)
    Overall, the car must basically be in decent running condition. That means that if it's a good car to begin with, there is no extra cost involved.

So if you are looking at getting the car thru German TUV the costs are as follows:
    - $220 for new lenses which take a half our to changeover yourself
    - $325 for a set of H4's
    - and if you want to add the new speedo, another $200.

Total cost to chanegover would be around $745

The cost of the TUV which would run around another few hundred.

By my above calculations then, the costs to change a car would come nowhere close to buying a car in the US for US$20-25,000, and then having to get Euro$55k to break even.

The seller who bought Milt's ex-911S has at least Euro$15-20,000 profit built into the sale of this car, unless of course he had the engine rebuilt - which I doubt. If he is flipping the car (which dealer's do for a living!), then he no doubt did the absolute minimum to repair the engine in order to sell it.

P.S. I just noticed that this is my 1,000 post - where's my Winnebego.....

the import tax (into Germany anyway) is 27%.
    If I am informed correct by some one who is in the bizz, a lot of Germans, Italians and probably other country dealers tackle this heafty rate by bringing in their cars through the Rotterdam harbor. They pay 6% import tax in the Netherlands (for cars that are older than 25 or 30 years). Once import tax w/i the EU zone are paid, they can import it into their country w/o extra import tax.

Bottomline: they save 21% over the guy who was not aware of this.

Just my $.02

Richard

Richard,
    Maybe I am mistaken, but don't you have to have residency in the Netherlands in order to do this, or at least have a company licensed in the Netherlands?
    Otherwise, wouldn't everyone go thru Rotterdam?

Hello Gruen, yes you are correct , for Germany, i shoulndt have saied all eu, here in spain, the car has to go thru the school of engeniering, to see if the car is fit, its called honologation, thats only if the car is a clasik, and you can only get a classic plate, this has to be done by an engenier, loke building a house, so these guys charge in total 2000 euros alone for this, and tag to that all above of what you mention, wich by eu standarts, germany does have the tuffest tuv, but you know our beurocracy here in spain, jejejje, this is not germany, so by the time you finish all paper work, you have invested 4000 K in the car.
    Once its title or the vat paid it can be sold ain any EU country. Youe know how it is, we are eu,l but all laws are so diffrent, You should see POrtugal, from my understanding and the cars i have sold its he......
    But some guys do want to make a hefty profit, but to each its own I just want to make a living, jejejej.