Thread: How do I remove lens from H1?

How do I remove lens from H1?

Hello all,

I've looked in my shop manual and done a search without finding the answer. I cracked one of my H1 lenses and I need to replace it. I assume I remove the assembly by unscrewing the bottom center screw and lifting up and back. Once I've done that how do I remove the lens? It would be great if I didn't have to reaim it once I've replaced the lens. If I do, where do I find out how to reaim highs and lows on an H1?

Thanks in advance,
    Alan

Alan,

This is a bit of a tricky job.

You need to remove the whole unit from the car.
    Then you release all of the wire springs that preload the chrome bezel to the main housing. These are around the whole perimeter of the bezel on the back side. I would wear eye protection for this and make note of the positions that the springs come from. They are different.

You also need to turn the adjustment screws until then com free from the reflectors that they are moving.

At this point you now have enough room to maneuver the old lens out and the new lens in. I would replace the seal if it is getting old.

Reinstall the adjustment screws, springs, readjust the beam alignment.

I would comment that changing these lenses is surprisingly difficult.

Good Luck,

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Thanks Bob.

I think this is one that I'll put off until the winter sleep for cars in the snow belt. I've got a piece of piant protection film over the hole in the lens so I don't have to worry about water getting in.

Now I know how to proceed.

Take care,
    Alan

Just wanted to give this thread a bump for my appreciation of its content. Obviously I had no idea replacing H1 lenses was this difficult. I think I'll pass on those yellow lenses for now.

Take your time, take digital photos too as I found this to be a big help. Definitely replace the seal as they are cheap. Make yourself a spot on your workbench and take your time. It's an arduous process but I wouldn't say its all that difficult for someone with a moderate amount of mechanical ability. I've done it twice...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Inspiration . . .

Oh no . . . . giving me inspiration to take on the tough job could be hazardous to my health . . . and my pocket book.

But now that I know it can be done . . . are yellow lenses legal in California?

Thanks for the input . . .

Tom