Thread: 1973 BMW Bavaria

1973 BMW Bavaria

I'm offering a pristine and (mostly) original example of BMW flagship sedan from the early seventies. Designated a 3.0S in the rest of the world, the cars were badged as Bavarias for America only in 1972 and 1973. The basic body and chassis dates back to 1968 and earlier versions of this car were designated 2500s and 2800s. Many trim changes took place during its evolvement, but the most noteworthy difference was engine size.

Details From the Original Window Sticker:

- Verona Red exterior - Bright red - rare on these cars
    - Black viny interior
    - Manual Sunroof
    - Power steering
    - Air Conditioning
    - Rear Headrests
    - Tinted glass

New in 2006

- Weber DVG 32/36 progressive carbs & heim end linkage
    - Timing chain
    - All coolant hoses
    - NOS radiator
    - High torque starter
    - Center track rod
    - OEM exhaust complete
    - Center support bearing
    - 22mm front & 18mm adjustable (rear) sway bars
    - Alternator & voltage regulator
    - New trunk and hood seals

New in 2005

- Bilstein shocks
    - Fan clutch & 528 fan shroud
    - New water pump
    - New 528 cylinder head by first owner - originals were prone to cracking.
    - OD 5-sp from a 528, this is a very nice upgrade, as the engines are somewhat busy with a 1:1 4-sp at today's highway speeds.

General stuff:

One owner from new until 2005. Never hit and never rusted. 76,xxx miles. The interior is pristine, the exterior is near mint - a couple of soft (no paint damage) door dings could be removed by the Dent Dr. folks. The original toolkit (one of my favorite items on these cars - a fitted plastic tray which folds into the trunklid) is complete and in beautiful condition. The trunk is near mint. Five original steel wheels & hub caps w/trim rings. Driving lights mounted on factory bumper bracket lugs - no holes in bumper as is often the case. Everything works: A/C, radio, heater, sunroof, etc. All original paint except for trunklid & rear fenders which were somewhat faded. All trim pieces were removed and color match is near spot-on; I'd call it 97%. Correct sized Firestone 195/70x14 with +/- 3000 miles. It is a superb driver; not an autocrosser (3500lbs and skinny tires), but it starts and runs smoothly and has excellent road manners at 70+. A puff of blue smoke can be seen at high RPM shifts, but otherwise no oil consumption. Excellent four wheel disc brakes. In all respects, this is an exceptional car and quite rare in this condition.

Why? Cuz an early 911 project beckons....

Offered at $19.5 ONO

See Images here: http://jvo.smugmug.com/gallery/1298196/1

Jim (414) 964-4974 or send a PM
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Bavaria

Jim - that's a beautiful Bavaria. I've always admired these cars, even owned a comparable 3.0CS in the late 80's. Great cruisers, and sporting for a their time. But I've never seen a Bavaria or 3.0S in such outstanding condition - they always have 200,000+ miles and were northeastern "station cars".

Would love to have it over my comparable car, an all original 1986 MB 560SEL with 50,000 miles, but I've got the same issue you do - 911 habit.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Quote Originally Posted by RTincher
    they always have 200,000+ miles and were northeastern "station cars".

Bob
    Thanks, Bob -

I had a Silver Blue Bavaria back in the day and within nine Wisconsin winters, the front fenders and rockers had to be replaced due to salt corrosion. Other than one which I recently spotted in Stonington, Ct., I never see these on the road anymore. Perhaps in the southwest and west....I guess that BMW used the same type of rust prevention back then as did Porsche.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Wow, I just saw a beat up example on the road the other day and even in that condition it was sexy. What a great car.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

color

Jim,I think it was Fjord Blue.I bought one new from Ralph Schomp BMW in 72 in Denver. It had a 4 speed. I loved that car and it was a rarity at the time.Would do itself justice on Loveland Pass.It died from the cracked head problem.That is the best example I have seen in years and someone will have a great time turning heads with that one.The changes address all the issues that I faced,but couldn`t resolve then.Brings back great memories.Thanks for the good photos. Tom
    Member:S Registry #864

Bavaria

Fjord blue was my recollection also.

Jim, I passed your ad on to a fellow that runs a top class BMW shop in Berkely, California. I sold an M5351 to him back around 1991. He's very meticulous, and has done great things with the old cars.

BTW, when my wife and I met in 1989, I was driving a silver 2002Tii, which was a lot more car than the Honda Civic she had at the time and she fell in love with it. She actually said just the other day, as I was talking 911's, that one day when we don't need a minivan she wants me to buy a 2002 for her to drive. Am I lucky or what?

Bob
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Tom & Bob,

Thanks for jogging the grey matter; yes, it was fjord. I bought it used when the Atlantik Blue '72 Tii became too small for the growing family. As you both recall, that was back in the day when BMW owners would flash headlights at another Bimmer and sometimes even turn around to chase the other owner. Folks would ask if the letters stood for British Motor Works - well before the term Yuppie was coined. My wife and I have had a bunch of them in the past three decades and not a single one which wasn't a great driver.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Mine was Fjord Blue, bought in 1979 from a friend of my Dad's. I cleaned it up, sold it to a neighbor for her "new" honda accord. My sister wanted the honda, i wanted her 2002 Bmw. I still have the 2002, wish the Bavaria was still around. The salt in Minnesota and the inevetiable cracked head took it down. That Bav was fast.. Maybe that's why Dad didn't want a 16 year old driving it. He got a ticket in Wisconsin bringing it home from Chicago, 98 in a 55 at night, it cost him some coin.. I found the ticket in the car when I started cleaning it up. Great car you have there. Hope it finds the right home..
    Bob Petitt
    1967 911S Coupe 307653S, my barn find - 55,000 miles Looking for engine #961269 and trans 901/02 #104337
    1971 911T Coupe 9111120264, my first 911 back in my garage
    1972 BMW 2002, my first car - 350,000 miles and counting
    1972 911T Coupe 9112100970, Sporto, parted it out..
    1983 BMW 320i, my everyday car - 138,000 miles and gutless
    2005 Subaru Outback, the daily driver - boring
    2006 Volvo XC90,

Registry Membership #202