Thread: How far would you go? Resto begun.

Question How far would you go? Resto begun.

Imagine, I actually have time now to work on my car.

I dug into the only area so far that has had me a little worried. Some interior surface corrosion around the battery boxes and lower front pan. Very minor surface rust had started below the undercoating. Will be easy to do some spot resto. However, it seems my tank took it for the team . I found pretty heavy scale around the seam in about a 5-6 in area. I pulled the tank. Metal is really thinned out above and below the seam and I could hear big chunks dropping off inside when I tapped around on the outside. I think without much work I could punch a hole with a screwdriver. The fuel pump was in great looking condition. I'll try running it on the bench with a closed loop mini tank it to clean it up and then store it. FUel lines were rotten and the mesh prefilter was so gummed up there would have been no chance of trying to start it up (not that I even considered it).

So, how far have you gone to save an original tank? I figure I should be able to find a decent original one fairly easily or just buy a replacement.

Maybe time for a ralley tank conversion?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Well, I think it appropriate that you post some pics of this lady in distress don't you guys?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley
    Well, I think it appropriate that you post some pics of this lady in distress don't you guys?
    Promise to that very thing this eve from home. No resto pics here at work.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I would doubt that it is worth dealing with this tank at all.

Aren't they a dime a dozen down there in California?

You also really need to air out a tank before doing any metal work on it. The vapours build up inside, to a dangerous level, long after you have drained the tank empty.

I would save your time and energy for other battles and just find a better tank. IMHO

Regards,

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Michael,

I found I had to junk my original fuel tank about a year ago.
    My options were -

repair the existing one - good money after bad ?
    get a new one - scarey $$$
    get a restored 80 litre tank with space saver - which is what I did.

Unless your car will be on the show car circuit,as mine is not,I felt the 80 litre tank is a practical solution,especially now that the MFI mix has been cranked up somewhat

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

It' nice haveing a larger fuel tank, except when you get to the pump and have to fill it up. Which is about $75-$80 at about $3.10 a gallon. My 71 has a 80 liter tank. I can nock out about 325 miles on a full tank which is nice for distance driving. But when your travling in a gruppe it seems that your allways short stoping. The down side is you know when you have a full tank because the car handles a bit strange. It's amazing what a little weight diffrence makes on these cars!
    Regards, Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress