Thread: Sport Muffler Caps

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar

Sport Muffler Caps

I have shamelessly pirated one of songhoh's photos from his Florida RS / R drive to help me ask these questions: How do I make a pair of these caps, and what holds them on? My sport muffler is a bit on the loud side for daily driving. This looks like just the ticket, I just don't know how to make a set.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

The ones I have seen are simple metal cups, probably not too tough to fabricate once you found the right material and pipe with a tight ID. Mostly a mechanical seal, but with small bolts at 3 and 9 o'clock to keep them from blowing off.

Jeff, do you have the third outlet on your muffler or were you going to add it?
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I think Autofarm in the UK did Songhoh's muffler / caps.
    He would have to chime in on this, or you can PM him.
    Steve

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    I would have to add the third outlet on the left. It looks like a simple matter of hole-sawing a hole in the center of the welded over boss and welding on an outlet. I have an original single out I can use as a go-by for the length, diameter, and bend. That part should be pretty easy.

I was thinking of just attaching the caps in the same manner as chrome tips. A slight interference fit and a couple of sheet metal screws hiding down at 4:00 and 8:00. That seems o.k. for chrome tips that will stay on all of the time, but I'm affraid they would quickly develop some slop on caps that would be removed often. I was hoping there might be a more sophisticated way that the factory might have come up with back in the day, or that some one has come up with now. I would just hate to blow one off and hit that nice officer that has been following me around...
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."