Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct color for undercoating

Correct color for undercoating

I have a 911 that someone carelessly sprayed paint on the undercarriage, wheel wells etc, I want to touch undercoating. What is the proper color.
    Thanks,
    Phil

My 73 was painted tangerine, top and bottom, at the factory. There is a black, hand painted area along the very bottom of the wheel wells and sills, and some of the floor has little to no paint (white undercoating apparent). I posted a picture of this on this board previously. Earlier cars, maybe until 69, were black undercoated, I believe.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Hi Tom

Could you please post a pic of "There is a black, hand painted area along the very bottom of the wheel wells and sills, and some of the floor has little to no paint "

thanks
    John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Try this: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ead.php?t=9353

You have to scroll down for my photos.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Thanks Tom

What kind of paint is the black paint? I guess this part has bodycolour on top of undercoating and then the black paint on top of that.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Tom,
    Thanks, it looks as my wheel wells were painted same color as car. I just need to get paint off of shocks, spring plates, etc. Does the underneath of the car have the same black as edges of wheel wells.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr
    Tom,
    Thanks, it looks as my wheel wells were painted same color as car. I just need to get paint off of shocks, spring plates, etc. Does the underneath of the car have the same black as edges of wheel wells.

Phil
    No, its' just along the sills, as you see in the pictures. The paint is a satin black, brushed on. Same stuff as on the doors, where they are exposed to the interior when closed, behind the horn grilles in front, and a bunch of places around the interior. I think that '72s had the entire engine bay in the same black, again over the finish color on the rest of the car.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Zithlord
    Thanks Tom

What kind of paint is the black paint? I guess this part has bodycolour on top of undercoating and then the black paint on top of that.

John
    Satin black. You are correct about the sequence of painting.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

underbody paint

Phil,
    The color and the texture depend on the year of the car. The "C" program cars strarting in August 1969 (for 1970 model year) were given a flexible PVC underseal. The "D" program cars (8/70) received a new zinc coating. (Peter Morgan) Most of the experts I talked to said the 1969 exposed underbody was black and smooth and later cars were gray with varying, but rough texture.

After researching this for a long time, I came to the conclusion that it's best to paint it the color you like best unless somebody can come up with an authoritative source . (something better than " I am sure my car is original and it's black!) Lee

I have owned a few 72 and 73's, I had never paid attention to this so it must have not been very obvious. On the 73 1 /2 I just bought it is obvious that someone sprayed paint under rockers and it looks funny, part of it car is so high you can easily see under there.
    Thanks,
    Phil