Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspension: comfort versus handling

Thumbs up Suspension: comfort versus handling

I have handled my bone shaker suspension in my '69S for a year and half now and it is starting to get old. This was punctuated by a drive I took in a G50 Carrera this week. This car was tight, comfortable and handled like a champ. Frankly, I want my car to handle like that car! I am sick of my car bottoming out and shaking like a salt shaker over anything but perfect asphalt.

So the question: what suspension set ups are you guys running?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Comments like that could cost you your RGruppe membership.
    R Gruppe #257

I just want my car to stop bottoming out. I had to drive SLOWER in Sonoma since my car couldn't take all of the friggin' potholes. I see this as a performance improver, not as a detriment.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Are you sure the problem isn't the added weight from all those lights?
    R Gruppe #257

All those lights... Hell, there are more on the way!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

My car is currently undergoing a total suspension rehab. At the risk of being blackballed ..... I've chosen stock T-bars and Konis set at their softest setting ('soft' is probably not the right word), ER bushings front and rear, ER control arm mounts/bearings, new ball joints, lowered slightly more than it already was, bump steer kit, etc. My goal is firm, taught, non-bonejarring ride/handling - just like when it was brand new, or slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    My car is currently undergoing a total suspension rehab. At the risk of being blackballed ..... I've chosen stock T-bars and Konis set at their softest setting ('soft' is probably not the right word), ER bushings front and rear, ER control arm mounts/bearings, new ball joints, lowered slightly more than it already was, bump steer kit, etc. My goal is firm, taught, non-bonejarring ride/handling - just like when it was brand new, or slightly better.

How much poorer will this work leave you?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik:

This is a great subject and I'm glad you brought it up,...

There are MANY things that affect perceived ride quality and before engaging in a protracted discussion, one must understand that the operative word here is; "perceived", which means its all subjective. Aside from color, I cannot think of another aspect of ownership where "One man's tea is another man's poison", is more meaningful..... One should never get caught up in aquiring fancy technology due to peer pressure or appearance.

IMHO, the components that have the greatest effect ride quality are (in order):

1) Shock valving
    2) Tires & pressures
    3) Bushings
    4) Spring rates (torsion bar sizes)
    5) Swaybar diameters & adjustment (where applicable)

Obviously, this doesn't account for local road conditions since thats a variable that nobody can control.

Needless to say, every modification one does to their car becomes a compromise of sorts and an individual decision based on what one does with the car and how its driven. Its simply a question of degree.

I would conclude by offering that suspension upgrades are not a one-size-fits all proposition. Everyone's needs and expectations are different and people in my business ought to listen carefully to their customers so that the end result will meet or exceed each individual's objectives.
    I hope you are not disappointed about the lack of specific recommendations here, but I think I've explained why thats not practical to do so in this forum. My MO over the past 30+ years has been to deal with each person on an individual basis to recommend and provide integrated, matched suspension systems that compliment each other and not simply an "al la carte" list of parts.

There is no substitute for experience and product knowledge in this discipline and that is "mission critical" toward ensuring a happy owner.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Kenik - Also powdercoating everything, replating fasteners, etc. The cash register is still spinning. Where it stops, nobody knows ....

I am doing the exact set up as you Curt. I bet the factory set up was blend of comfort and performance that will be acceptable to me. Since I to have Targa the Koni dampers with be lowest damping setting.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.