Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '73 S- probably time to let it go

'73 S- probably time to let it go

This is a tough one. I've owned this car for 7 years and have worked on just about every part of it at one time or another. I love a project and when the list of things to do to a car grows shorter, I find myself thinking of other projects or just moving on. I certainly would not mind keeping this car for a lifetime but it's probably best is goes to someone else who will appreciate it like I have. Everything that's been done to it has been done in my garage so I have only my records, no mechanic has ever touched it except for alignments which I've done regularly. Everything else I've done. I think I have listed pretty much everything I've done on a Word document but I probably will have to go over that as there are most likely things I've forgotten.

First, some basics.

1. The car was purchased new at Bozzani Porsche in 1973. This dealership was in Monrovia if my memory serves. It seems likely this is the car that was featured in the Road and Track article where it was tested against a current RSR. Interesting article.
    2. The car is Aubergine, it's original color. It came with brown sport
    seats with houndstooth inserts. I removed the inserts to have them properly
    cleaned (some said they looked new when I removed them, I thought they could be made to look more perfect). I still have them out of the car, the inserts were replaced with matching vinyl.
    3. The car has original through-the-grill driving lights, I put new O.E. ones on a couple of years ago so they are perfect, the original ones are in the boxes the new ones came in.
    4. It has a sunroof and power windows. It does not have limited slip.
    5. I have no reason to think the car has ever been out of California. I've not
    seen any rust on the car and I've been all through it many times.

6. IT IS NOT STOCK! Here's what I've done to alter the car and may
    turn off many buyers but that's the way it goes. I installed factory OEM RS flares (did it myself, but -welded them in), installed factory RS bumpers to match, installed factory RS deco trim and had paint matched to the rest of the car and painted it myself over a period of several months. Just the rear quarters and bumpers. I also painted the steel front spoiler just to allow for
    good removal of the hole for the front rubber bumper guards ( I have them stored in a box.) I kept the original fender flares and the original rear bumpers just in case anyone would like to return it to stock narrow-body looks). I realize this is considered in poor taste by some, please continue your search for a stock original car, you'll find one. I just like the RS look with the stock rear deck lid so that's what I did. I put factory Fuchs 7's and 8's on the car.
    7. It gets worse. I didn't like the looks of a previous repair to the right rear quarter panel so I put a new on on when I welded on the flares. It's clean,
    straight and I didn't have to fight with the previous one that looked like it
    had a history of some relatively minor accident. No idea what happened but
    you'd have a hard time finding the work done.
    8. I put in a new, correct headliner (old one was stained etc.). Also a new
    correct carpet. The dash is original and yes, it has the normal crack.
    9. Mechanically, the list is too long to cover here. I'll just give the highlights.
    A. I built the engine a couple of years ago, it has around 4K miles on it.
    The numbers match the cardex so it's the original engine. It had about 98K miles on it when I built it. Ted Robinson did the machine work, I had him bump the compression slightly but that's about it. The stock P/C's were good, Elgin ground the cams to ModS specks, I re-sealed the injection pump and gave it a good cleaning. The t-bodies seem fine. I installed the updated idler arms but used new Turbo tensioners, of course all new chains, sprockets etc. New rocker arm shafts, polished the exisiting rocker arms.
    Engine runs very strong, estimate compression ration around 9:1 or so.
    B. Newly rebuilt 915 trans, original trans is available. Both are magnesium case transmissions. New clutch.
    10. Suspension work is too extensive to list here, a few of the basics:
    Installed aluminum rear trailing arms, inner mono-ball joints, Elephant
    Racing polybronze bushings, Weltmeister spring plates, stock rear sway
    bar. New brake lines (soft and hard).
    Front A arms have all poly-bronze bushings. 22 and 28mm torsion bars.
    The car has never been on the track, I've just done some things that
    track people do, just never tracked it.
    This is just a small part of what I've done. I'll dig up my notes and offer them to anyone interested.
    Price: I have not idea what's happening to S prices and why. They are all over the board. I don't expect this car to bring huge numbers but it is clean
    and is a great driver matching number car. I'm open to suggestions and am really not fishing here. I just don't know what to make of this current market.
    We can talk about numbers and if someone comes up with something that makes sense to both of us, we'll do the deal. If nobody wants it, I'll keep driving it and enjoy it for years to come.
    Email me at gibson@redshift.com with any questions, requests, chastise me about my poor decisions, I don't care. Of course, any photos are easy to provide. Ideally, I'd like any potential buyers to come by and we'll get the car up in the air and go through every aspect of it. I want no suprises so we'll explore all of the details of the car until you are satisfied.

Thanks, sorry for the ramble.
    Bruce

Email if you are interested.

Links to some photos:

www.redshift.com/~gibson/enginecompartment.jpg

www.redshift.com/~gibson/73Sbsm.jpg

www.redshift.com/~gibson/73Sasm.jpg

www.redshift.com/~gibson/73Sesm.jpg
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

Bruce
    I wish I lived in the US. This is exactly the car I want but more to the point you speak the language which is music to my ears. If everybody went about selling their car like this the whole proceedure would be painless and very friendly indeed. I wish I could just pop over, put the car up on the ramp, discuss with you what you have done and why, what needs to be done,check things over, and then come to a nice friendly agreement on price. Judginging by those grafted rear flares you have a pride in your work and your 'ramble' as you put it confirms your attention to detail. I have no doubt this car is in top condition and I wish it were in the UK. I would be round tomorrow.
    Good luck
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Bruce,

E-mail sent. Thanks.
    J-P
    S Registry #949

I love it when sellers take the time to give a real, honest, no excuses, no BS description of a car. Your description, "flaws" and all, has more appeal than the ads for so called "perfect" cars that only use a paragraph of superlatives to describe the car. Kudos to you and what sounds like a great car; best of luck!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik
    Exactly my point.
    Never been to the States.
    Where is Central Coast?
    I feel a holiday coming on
    Is it safe to fly thesedays?
    What do you think pmjt?

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Thanks for the comments, I'm just interested in correct and accurate representation of a vehicle. I don't have to sell this car, no kids to put through college, no serious family illness, I just thought somebody else might
    enjoy it more, I've not been driving it like it should be driven. I'm going to post more photos and give more details as I have time in the next day or so, try to show more of the car and what it's really like.
    Thanks Marty for the correction, of course the article was in Road and Track, not Car and Driver. And again, I've tried, but I cannot positively confirm this was the car, I just figure- how many Aubergine 911S' did they sell that year with basketweave inserts, power windows and sunroof with through the grill driving lights? Seems like there are good odds this is the car- again- no proof.
    So, we'll see. I apologize for no price being given, I'm really at a loss as to what it's worth. I hear so many numbers flying around that I don't really know. Since I don't have to sell it, it won't go on the cheap side but it won't be anywhere near what I've seen some of these "restored" cars asking either.
    It's a good, solid driver. It won't win any concours but it looks pretty good going down the road.
    Bruce

Almost forgot Mike, Central Coast means, in this case, Monterey/Carmel area, about 2 hrs. south of San Francisco.
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

Bruce

I was hoping Pelican Shores or somethin like that but there you go-wrong coast.......I hate flying you see.
    Do they sell ice-cream down your way? or is that an old story.
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

I'd fly for this one. I have plenty of things I can "take" to make the flight.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Here are some more photos. As far as price, I have a good friend who just sold his very well done RS conversion, a 1973 911T, for 55K. It was very clean. I figure this car is worth somewhat less, I'm looking for an offer as close to 50K as I can get. If not, no problem, I appreciate all of your comments. Truth is, I hate selling cars. It's such a tightrope- all cars have issues, you want to represent them accurately, and yet present all of the positives as well. I'm lousy at it. Oh well, I enjoy the car every time I drive it, if it sells, I just want the next owner to feel the same way.
    www.redshift.com/~gibson/rearview.jpg
    www.redshift.com/~gibson/battery1.jpg
    www.redshift.com/~gibson/leftbattery.jpg
    www.redshift.com/~gibson/frontwheelwell.jpg
    www.redshift.com/~gibson/fronttrunk.jpg
    www.redshift.com/~gibson/trunkfront1.jpg
    www.redshift.com/~gibson/rearwheelwell.jpg
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

That is a beautifull car!!! Don't sell it. Judging from the pics it is worth north of 50. Don't sell it! Oh did I mention to keep it.
    Rick
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739