Thread: Valve adjust sequence/table?

Valve adjust sequence/table?

Guys,

Where is the thread that gives the table telling me which exhaust/intake valve I can adjust at each 1/3 turn of the pulley? Rather than turn the pulley through two complete rotations, it seems to me that there must be more valves than just #1 Intake and Exhaust that I can adjust at #1 TDC.

What I want to do is set the engine at TDC, adjust some valves; turn the pulley 120 degrees, adjust some more valves; turn the pulley through the last 120 degrees, adjust the last of the valves and call it a day. Is this possible? If so, what I & E valves are adjusted at each one third turn of the pulley?

Mind, it's not that I'm lazy and am objecting to jumping up and down 6 times instead of three. I just want to get to the beer that much quicker and stand in the garage admiring my work.

John, proud member #322

John,

It's a 4stroke engine. Assuming that you wish only to adjust valves for each cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke where both should be fully closed, you have to turn through 2 full rotations (720 degrees) to get all the valves. Ok only 600 degrees if you start at #1 TDC.

johnt

John T,
    That's the way I have been adjusting my valves for years.

But everytime I am adjusting a cylinder, I can feel that there are a couple valves with some slack on other cylinders. So it only seems logical, that if the cam has one valve open and one closed (in addition to the cylinder I am working on) on another cyclinder, why not adjust it at the same time? That way I could adjust all 12 valves with only 360 degrees of rotation.

Or maybe I'm making too much of this.

John

Well I believe there is only one time every 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation that one can be absolutely certain that the cam follower is on the absolute lowest part of the cam. Choosing to adjust when the follower is away from that point either requires intimate knowlege of the cam grind (that the low point continues for "x" degrees of cam or crankshaft rotation) or a lot of courage, eh?

johnt

I tried this once, the engine souded like a hay bailer. Re-adjusted with the proper sequence, silence. It made perfect logic to me that if the cam was off lobe, clearance is clearance...I dont have an answer, but the cam grind theory sounds good to me. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Well I believe there is only one time every 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation that one can be absolutely certain that the cam follower is on the absolute lowest part of the cam. Choosing to adjust when the follower is away from that point either requires intimate knowlege of the cam grind (that the low point continues for "x" degrees of cam or crankshaft rotation) or a lot of courage, eh?

johnt
    Well, one could also look at the rocker arm and it's cam lobe. When the rocker arm tip is sitting at the low point of it's cam, the valve is going to be as closed as it gets. Even at TDC - compression, the "normal" adjusting position, the rocker arm is somewhere along the opening or closing ramp of the cam, although officially still closed.

Call me lazy, but getting up and down between the exhaust rockers and rotating the crank by hand gets pretty old. Attach a remote starter button to the starter solenoid and bump the engine around to the adjustment position for each valve. This way you do all the exhaust valves on one side first before adjusting the right side valves. Same with the intake valves on top or use the trusty wrench when you're up top.

Sherwood

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    There many marks on the pulley. Anybody know what they all mean?