Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Californians: Black Plate Questions?

Californians: Black Plate Questions?

For those of you, like me, , not in Ventura, a few questions about Black Plates:

1. If we have a car with Original to it Black Plates that left the state, when we bring the car back in can we get the black plates back on it?

2. What if the Black Plates are original to the car but weren't on it, it had new CA plates, when it left the state, can we get it registered with its original Black Plates.

3. Do you have to show BOTH black plates to DMV to get it registered? WHy, because I only have one.

4. Can an additonal Black Plate be economically fabricated, are there people who do this, for the missing one? If so, what does it cost? Thanks.

-Allen-

black plates

Funny..I just came from the Ventura show and I bought a pair of black plates from a reliable vender. These plates were on his Porsche and he moved to NY. DMV, CA said he COULD NOT put them back on his car. But he told me DMV said he could put them on another car. So I'm hoping I can put them on my 68 Porsche. I will know Monday when I go to AAA. I did get a $$ back guarantee
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Don't think so

There is a proposed law that would allow you to put Black Plates on vintage cars of the correct era but that is proposed. I'm almost sure you will not be able to put those plates on your car. WHy he couldn't put them on his was because they were no original to his car.

Almost 100% sure of the above.

-Allen-

CA Black Plates

Here is what the CA DMV told me (in writing). If your black plate registration lapses, those plates cannot be used again by anybody until they "clear the system" which takes 10 years. However, I have heard that a friendly DMV clerk can get around this, if they want to. There is a thread on this subject from a few months ago. It would be good to know if any of our members has figured this one out.
    Another question...what about blue plates?

Lee

The plates just have to match the years of cars in which they were issued.

I think Zeke is referring to Year of Manufacture (YOM) and I believe in CA that is only for 1963 and earlier cars.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Black Plates

Thanks for the responses so far. I searched and found an old thread with lots of information and misinformation.

My quesiton is specifically about Black Plates and NOT YOM plates in CA.

Here is what I believe are the facts:

You can only put a Black Plate on a car that was originally registered with one and it has to be the same plate.

There is a bill to change the law
    http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/bills/AB_1915/

There is a place I can get a duplicate of my missing plate but I will have to have it ordered and delivered from out of state. And the material will be different, not magnetic..but that shouldn't be a problem

http://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php/cPath/1_147

And the old trick of Vanity Plates ordered with old Black Plate number sequences (and use the old Black Plates, not the new ones) will not work beause CA will no longer Vanity Plates with those letter number sequences..

Did I miss anything? Thanks.
    -Allen-

original black plates

My 1966 911 was registered continuously in CA for the first 38 years. Then left the state for a year. On returning to CA I attempted to register with the original black plates. That's when I was told I had to wait for the plates to "clear the system" which takes 10 years.
    I hope you are more successful with the legendary bureaucracy. Please post the results.
    Lee

Anybody have my missing plate?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E

Here is what I believe are the facts:

You can only put a Black Plate on a car that was originally registered with one and it has to be the same plate.

-Allen-
    In spite of your link, people have been buying black plates at Pomona for years and getting them on their cars. They were not the original plate for the car. They only were correct for the YOM, which '63 sounds about right, IIRC. After that, it was the blue/yellow plate until the 80's somewhere. I still have my blue plate that says "Zeke" origianlly from an '81 car. To get the blue plate on another qualifying car, I would have to have 2 plates in reasonable condition (repros might pass muster) and the plate would have to be "clear." Unfortuately, in my case, it's not. Someone else got Zeke after I let it lapse. I was recently told how long it took for a plate to be available again to the public (now referring to a vanity plate). It's not that long, about 4 months.