Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear view mirror restoration

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Rear view mirror restoration

Hi,

There was an article by Syd baker and Allan Caldwell in Porsche Panorama, the issue I don't know but certainly a while back, 'How to rejuvenate that old rectangular mirror on your 1972-1975 911'
    I am missing the middle pages, 13 and 14, anyone can scan and post it here?

many thx,

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Did these articles end up in Upfixin'? If so, I can look tonight.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Mirror resto article

No idea Kenik, I don't have access to that Upfixin' here in Europe....I wish I only knew the year when the article was published, would be a great help but thanks for looking anyway.

Rgds,

Cees

Kenik, I'll cruise thru my upfixin's tonite and see if I can find anything on this.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Bump...

Any news on that article? I need to fix my floppy mirror. I'd like to do it right and not have to buy a new one if I screw it up.

Or is there an easy fix to a floppy mirror? Mine start drooping as soon as I hit 60.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Mirror

When you take the mirror of the car, you will find inside the base a M6 nut, loose that one and you can take the base of the middle part. You can't take the mirror from the middle part without removing the glass first, better not to try that, 99% chance you will brake it. Clean and mount everything, it might do the trick.

Cees (any body has found that article yet.....?)

Good Morning RSexS
    I have the same droopy mirror problem (DMP) as you and got tired waiting for Kenik and Paul to check their literature, so I removed the glass (breaking it in the process) to see what gives. DMP is caused by a sheared off pin in the stalk (the lower right piece in the attached photo). I drilled out the pin, tapped the hole for a 3 mm set screw, locktite everything back together (even put JB weld on the set screw cuz I did not want it to vibrate loose in a few thousand miles), and viola—no more DMP! The glass was replaced by a local auto glass shop, so—piece o’ cake! Care is required, however, when removing the black seal behind the glass (upper left of photo); I did not want to tear it because I’m sure it is expensive to replace!
    Attachment 24915
    Jim Calzia
    Early 911S Registry #51
    Former R Gruppe #41, now excommunicated

Dmp

Thanks Jim for your informative post! Once I broke the mirror and binned the seal, a few things I shouldn't do! Anyway found another mirror but the glass is pretty stained. Another one I bought cheap had one of the pins broken, but I could fix that and glue the pieces together. If I find a way not breaking the glass, as I was hoping to find in the article, than a lot of hassle would saved. Btw, saw just a mirror go for $280,- on eBay, wow...

Rgds,

Cees

Anyone have a spare, good stem by chance? The stud on mine rotted off...
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Just for posterity, here's the all-important page 2. Tried to upload the whole thing but it exceeded the limit. I'm in the process of doing this to solve my own DMP and finally leafed through all my Up Fixins.

Jeff
    Jeff Jensen