Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Is Not Ebay

This Is Not Ebay

I already wrote this in another post, but wanted to touch a wider audience. It seems that not everybody got the message that was put forth by the Registry membership not too long ago.

I thought it was accepted some time back that anybody selling items in this forum was to post a price, or a price with "OBO". It was agreed that "Looking for Best Offer" posts by themselves were not acceptable, but "Looking for best offer over $XXX" was okay.

If you don't have an idea what something is worth, then find another area on the board to ask, such as "General Information", etc.

Let's save the bidding for Ebay or other auction sites, please. This is a great site and I'm sure that I am not the only one that doesn't want to see its values and objectives degenerate to another level.

Thanks for listening.
    J-P
    S Registry #949

I agree

J-P, I agree. And there is one member in particular who offers EVERYTHING as 'best offer.'
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

I don't even like general $xxx.xx OBO sales. Yesterday was a prime example.

BTW I was referring to the Fuchs fiasco yesterday.

I will also be more accurate if I make a new FS tread. xxx$ obo for me means that I will accept the first offer for the stated amount, anybody bidding higher will not get in front of the line. I sell at the stated amount or below. This I can guarantee, and the members of this board would probably see right thru me very easily, if I accepted higher offers and cheated with the ones in front of the line.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

I saw a jacket that I liked at Target the other day...price tag read "best offer".
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kaefer
    BTW I was referring to the Fuchs fiasco yesterday.
    Kaefer,

Man, you must have some time on your hands to keep laboring this. "Fiasco!" Come on!

Its free market. I got higher offers by PM and I took one. Think about that next time you see a smoking deal that is obviously from someone not knowing the true value which was the case here.

I'd probably disagree though on keeping auctions to eBay. If someone wants to put something up here for "Best Offer" let them as long as its clear thats what they are doing. Nothing wrong with a free market.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

I remember recently seeing an item for sale for $XXX or best offer. I offered the stated $XXX amount and was told that he would put my offer on the list and wait to see if he got a better one. I told him to forget it.

I agree that protocol should be followed. And like the man said, if you want to start a bidding session, put it on ebay.
    1951 pre-A 356 (SOLD)
    1972 911T in "no-resale brown"

Go to ebay. That's where you find out what something is worth if you don't know it.

Second, you have perverted the phrase "or best offer." When somebody sells something for $XXX obo, it is supposed to mean that their asking price is $XXX or if nobody is willing to pay that much, he will sell it for an amount that is near his asking price.

Not a bidding war? That's exactly what you are creating. Asking somebody to "offer what they are willing to pay" then waiting to see who is willing to pay the most is as close to a bid situation as I can imagine. Maybe you should call your listings "silent auctions" since you are simply offering your parts for auction and accepting sealed bids.

And for the record, I had no interest in your Fuchs, in fact didn't even see them for sale until the discussion started.
    1951 pre-A 356 (SOLD)
    1972 911T in "no-resale brown"

"Second, you have perverted the phrase "or best offer." When somebody sells something for $XXX obo, it is supposed to mean that their asking price is $XXX or if nobody is willing to pay that much, he will sell it for an amount that is near his asking price."

I'm sorry, had to comment, this one is just too funny :-)