Thread: Oil Leak 2.2

Oil Leak 2.2

My 70E has an annoying oil leak (dont they all?).
    After a short drive it leaves a 50 cent size oil stain. Oil seems to accumulate
    in the center of the case right near the sump plate. At first I thought it was
    the sump plate leaking but it stays dry & clean. Could it be leaking from the end of the case bolt?
    The rest of the engine is dry & leak free, except for this one small PITA leak

I have tried therapy & hypnosis "they all leak, they all leak, they all leak do not worry about it" I have wiped this spot clean for the last few months,put a piece of carpet under it. Not matter what I do the agony always reappears

Any ideas how I can remedy this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Hello: Is there oil in the engine? Man you are the luckest guy alive if that's the only leak it has. Are you feeling better now? Most pay big bucks for that kind of therapy. Back to the problem. It could be leaking from the stud and nut area. This happens on some lower valve covers. You can use a washer with a seal built into called a stat-O-seal. Porsche used to sell them for the valve covers I don't know if they still do. If it is leaking from the stud/nut area this will stop it. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

I have the same 50cent oil leak after driving long and hard. Look at the picture. I think the leak is coming from where the arrow in the pic points. If I wash the underside of the engine and run my finger along the seem between the two crank halves It is slippery with oil. My leak probably is a result of the seem touching ground at the track as you can see from the pictures. I wonder if I can retorque the bolts in that area and stop the leak?

Thanks
    John

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Hello: Do you guys actually drive these cars? I wish my track car looked so clean. I don't know what is going on with your stud/bolt arrangement but it could be leaking from the case halves. That is where they all leak at some point unless it is an aluminum case. Good luck with the oil leak. Thanks Eric

Eric,
    Thanks for the tip. Anyone know if there is a Porsche part # for the
    stat-o-seal stud/nut you speak of?

Yes, the car gets driven. Over 4000 miles since May...does that count?
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

I'd be more worried if it stopped leaking. At that point, you'd be out of oil.

As for the leak, it may be weeping out of the intermediate cover. The oil travels down the case halves and drips right at the edge of the sump plate.

Otherwise ... just deal with it. Try to keep in mind that the car is over 30 years old; cut it some slack.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I have two solutions, both cheap:

1. kitty litter
    2. cardboard

Oil leaks confirm there is oil inside the engine. Be one with your garage floor.

Sherwood

Hello: The stat-O-seal is a aluminum washer with a rubber sealing ring on the inside. If you use that and a new nylock nut it may work. I have to do this on a couple of lower valve covers that had mysterious leaks. Thanks Eric

Chris, have you checked to be sure your sump plate is not distorted or buckled? This is not un-common to find at times, also what oil are you using? These engines don't particularly like a light, full synthetic oil, it tends to be very good at escaping through the smallest path.

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    I had an old Harley rider tell me once "of course it's leaking oil; how else would you know there's any in there?"

Seriously though, if mine looked like that after a long drive, I would crack a beer and declare victory. I wouldn't worry about a leak like that at all. You may actually do more damage trying to "fix" it.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."