Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? on Esses article

?? on Esses article

I read through the most recent Esses last night and found an article I have a question on. I believe the article is called "My own 911". In the piece, the writer explains he wants to build his early car so that it can accept 7 & 8 inch rims w/o burning the paint on the wheel openings. He then suggests a good body man can form the openings so that a person looking from the side would be hardpressed to tell, but from the rear, it would be fairly obvious that mods have been made. The picture that's printed is too dark for me to see much of anything and I wonder if he is referring to rolling the wheel openings? or are there other body mods done as well?

I am considering upgrading to 16' fuchs for my 'E' and hear that 6 inches is all that will fit with some fender rolling possibly required based on the ultimate tire width 205 or 225. I don't mind rolling the metal a little and the car is set at Euro height now. What 's the maximum tire size you guys have installed on your non modded long hoods?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

That was my article. The picture that they printed was incorrectly cropped so even if it was lighter all you'd see is the rear suspension. I have more photos, but posting them here is difficult. I'll be happy to e-mail them to whomever can resize them for me.

BTW, I am not talking about rolling the lips. There is extensive cutting, welding and forming that needs to be done to retain the proper look and not cause fitment issues with the bumpers.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I have combined the beauty of RS rear flares and stock rear bumpers on my car for a number of years - mainly because of a lack of time to marry an ill-fitting RS rear FG bumper onto the chassis. In the meantime, the rear bumpers are "repositioned" so they meet the ends of the flare. However, this setup is hardly stealthy. The flared wheel wells are clearly visible when viewed from behind. No mistaking it for a narrow body '69.

I don't see how one can fit an 8x16 wheel in the rear unless it has a custom offset.

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars
    I have combined the beauty of RS rear flares and stock rear bumpers on my car for a number of years - mainly because of a lack of time to marry an ill-fitting RS rear FG bumper onto the chassis. In the meantime, the rear bumpers are "repositioned" so they meet the ends of the flare. However, this setup is hardly stealthy. The flared wheel wells are clearly visible when viewed from behind. No mistaking it for a narrow body '69.

I don't see how one can fit an 8x16 wheel in the rear unless it has a custom offset.

Sherwood
    My car DOES NOT use RS, SC, ST, TURBO or any other flare of any other letter combination.

Keep 'em guessin'.

PS: I can fit 8X16 Fuchs.
    -Marco

"PS: I can fit 8X16 Fuchs."

951 Fuchs? If not, ride height?

Sherwood

It's a secret

I'm not telling how this was done, but here's the picture from the article:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Marco

And another:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Marco

Marco,
    I thought it was no flare w/8x16s. My oversight. Please continue.

Sherwood

It's all hand formed. The metal guy who did the work did everything by eye and by feel. There was no flare added ... the whole thing was done, mostly, with existing metal.

The end result is more of a "bulge" than a true "flare". This process was also done - by the same guy - on a racecar that my dad built for one of our customers. It's akin to what was done on some of the 911Rs; however, the idea for my car was to keep the visual lines as close to stock as possible when viewed from the side.

If left standing alone, the untrained eye wouldn't notice anything different on my car. In a group of early 911s, however, the alterations to my fenders would become immediately apparent.

Sorry, but I'm not going to give away the steps in the process because I'm an only child and I don't like to share.
    -Marco

I like the subtle flare to the quarter but Unfortunately, I don't want to alter my car with that much body work. So I guess I'll ask you all what the max tire/wheel size that will fit under a rolled fender?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937