Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild or buy new???

Rebuild or buy new???

SWB needs new Koni's

SWB needs new Koni's

Oops, I hit enter from the title to the message by mistake and the thread took off.

Anyway as the topic states, my 67S needs new front koni's badly and possibly in the rear. The rears were probably changed once in its lifetime, so they are not as dire as the fronts.

I was told today by some friends in the Rgruppe that their is a company that rebuilds them. Has anyone had any experience with a company that does this. I was told they advertise in the Panorama so I will look on Monday where I stash them in my office. I was also told that Koni themselves can do rebuilds.

So should I continue looking at getting them rebuilt or bite the bullet for new ones???

Thanks for any info.

Scooter

I have heard the same rumors. If they are original with Porsche part #s I would go the extra mile. Sorry I can't add to your quest.
    Rick
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

I have Konis, but keep hearing Bilsteins are better. If you buy new, consider the Bilsteins.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Koni's website contains this information on rebuilding services for older shocks:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:A...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

They list three sources.

Sherwood

My Koni's were worn out so I kept them and put Bilstein Sports on. They were wonderfull and btw this was for the back.
    Rick
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

DynoDave

Rebuilding Koni Shocks

True Choice in Ohio is authorized to rebuild Koni's. I had them rebuild the complete set (all 4) for a 70S that I used to own. I had lowered the car's suspension about as much as possible; so True Choice shortened the internal shaft during their rebuild process to allow full shock travel w/ the lowered suspension. The shocks worked great & the car rode & drove very well.

If you would like their address, please send me a PM & I'll get the info to you.

Best Regards,

Dave
    Member # 351

Hey guys, the way I read that warranty info, they are guaranteed for the life of the car to the original purchaser. As my '66 now has 480K miles on it, I guess I'm the Customer From Hell! I just Emailed Koni NA, we'll see what they say about replacement parts!

Adam912.out.

OK, just got the warranty info sent to me by Koni. Here's the deal: the shocks are warranteed "against defects in materials and workmanship and against wear out for as long as you own that car registered for street use".

If yours are worn out, you can do two things:
    (1) ask for replacements to be sent. They charge half list price against a credit card, send the new shocks, then you send them back the old shocks, which they then inspect. If they are indeed covered by warranty, you get your credit card refunded. If not, then the worst off you are is new Konis at half price!
    (2) send them the old shocks, they go through the same routine as above, and either send you new ones at no charge, or if not under warranty, they scrap or send back the old ones.

The warranty covers shocks purchased since 1980.

Pretty good deal either way you go. To start the process, send an Email to:
    warranty@koni-na.com. An Email 'bot sends you back the form to use.

Not affiliated blah blah blah, but I have used the Koni reds for 34 years, and for me they have been great, just the right combo of stiffness and ride comfort.

Adam912.Out.

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Remember, if your struts are Koni, you are stuck with Koni inserts. Unless, of course, you make that upgrade to "S" calipers on the front, then you need new struts anyway. If I were making that change, I would be looking at the Bilsteins.

I considered putting Bilsteins on the back of my car a couple of years ago when it was time for replacement. I decided against it. I didn't want to mix and match Konis on the front and Bilsteins on the back. I'm sure that would work, but I felt it might be easier to achieve a balance to the car if both ends were the same. It might at least make suspension tuning a bit less guesswork.

Consider looking at the externally adjustable ones as well. I didn't spring for them, and I really wish I had. Taking the shocks off and the struts apart to make adjustments is a massive PIA. Maybe I like to fool around with this stuff more than most (or more than I should) but that is my one regret in putting the new Konis on. Granted, not an option if you opt for a rebuild, but if buying new I would seriously consider it. That way, I wouldn't have to help you tear the darn thing apart all the time, and I wouldn't wind up drinking all of your beer.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."