Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 911S Value Question

1970 911S Value Question

Hi All,

Long time lurker here. Today I looked at a 1970 911S that I found sitting behind a house, the owner is open to selling but was wondering what the value of this car would be before I make an offer.

Here are the details:
    Non sunroof coupe
    Car is complete except for wheels, hood badge and radio. Wheels and badge were stolen. Original engine, MFI intact, aluminum engine lid and license plate panel. Originally burgundy but was was repainted once in Auburgine. Car has standard seats, Aluminum S calipers, Konis.

Mechanical Condition: Car hasn't been driven in three years, was running when parked. Engines turns freely. Brakes need to be rebuilt. Odo shows 23,000 miles but don't know if this is actual, probably not.

Exterior Condition: Car has been sitting for about 3 years outside over dirt. Body appears to be solid but has numerous patches of surface rust, no holes. Doors have some surface rust along the bottom but no holes or bubbling. Sills, doorjambs, jack points, longitudinals and rockers are solid. Front pan looks like it needs to be replaced. Floor is solid except for small area near pedals. Carpet is wet in this area. Windshield has fogging along bottom.

Interior Condition: Dash has typical cracks, door pockets look pretty good but could use some work, carpet is no good. Seats and head liner are nice.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some idea of what this car might be worth. I was only able to take one photo before my battery died.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    1970 911T
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd say 12-14K if car runs OK. You are probably going to spend 25K-30 to go through car unless you do it yourself, so budget accordingly.
    Phil

Sitting outside for 3 years in the rain, hail and sun is not going to be good for the body. You'd want to look over it very carefully.

It's "value" is hard to determine, but I winched at several points in your description... you are going in with your eyes open, right? It sounds like the body is a dangerously close to what might be technically called a "rust bucket" -- doors with rust along the bottom, body covered in surface rust, hole near the pedals, and the floorpan needs replacing... So what's the value of a rust bucket with an unproven engine? Offer $5,000 and see if he is hungry. A nice example (not low miles perfect) of a 1970 S might be $35-$50k. Figure you will spend 2 years of free time and $30,000 to make it right -- what's your time worth?

Spend your money somewhere else. Youth and enthusiasm is one thing. Money is another.

Buy the best you can afford. If this is it keep saving your money.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

70 S $ ???

Saw a 70S that was scattered all over a garage with some rust ( but all there ) sell for $9K ...then missed out on Flatsix's 70S that was very similar to what you are showing for $12.5K ...that was a year ago ( market was better then ) ..... becareful thats an expensive project ....!? .
    Cheers T

If you can fix it yourself, considering buying it...

If you must pay to have it fixed, wait for the right car...

If the latter, help it get on eBay so that it is not lost to the ages...

My $0.02
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Whew, tough crowd around here. I can't wait until early 911's get to the point that the 356's are -- those guys will bring back just about anything.
    1951 pre-A 356 (SOLD)
    1972 911T in "no-resale brown"

Quote Originally Posted by matt13421342
    Whew, tough crowd around here. I can't wait until early 911's get to the point that the 356's are -- those guys will bring back just about anything.

They are a different breed, believe me. I've seen money thrown down a rat's hole on a car that should have been crushed except there wasn't enough metal to warrant doing it.

Best of luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

If this is your first 911 then follow Tom's (Sithot) advice.

For the price of a warn out S you can get a much better T and get to know these cars.

But if you can get this car at a song then why not. But still proceed with caution.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.