Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the origin of this WeltMeister Decal

What is the origin of this WeltMeister Decal

This is the decal that was on my original windshield, it was there when we bought the car in 1991. The car is a 70 model year, built in 10/69.

This decal doesn't match any of the reproductions, is this original? Could they have cut out the "1969" and "Marken" parts?

I'm guessing somebody added this sticker when the car was very new, and perhaps it's just a different sticker from back in the day.

Thoughts?

Britt

p.s. anyone know how to remove the PPG logo from that corner of a new windshield? It's raised so it's definitly painted on the inside glass, i was going to try some goo gone as a start...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There was no 69 written for the 1970 model year decal.
    I'm guessing yours is a reproduction from the 80ies ?

The period 1971 (european) catalogue shows a 69/70 Marken.Weltmeister sign on its cover...in that category Porsche won 69/70/71.
    ("Marken" in german means "brand, label" in english)

Just buy a very good repro on this site:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/WeltmeisterDecal.html
    Registry member No.773

I think this sticker have been cut? Look at the edge on both sides of the sticker left and right.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971
    There was no 69 written for the 1970 model year decal.
    I'm guessing yours is a reproduction from the 80ies ?
    I beg to differ. My 70S has the original Marken decal and that decal has the one year only 1969 date. If the glass is PPG then the decal is most likely a repro and the dates were cut off for some reason.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    I beg to differ. My 70S has the original Marken decal and that decal has the one year only 1969 date. If the glass is PPG then the decal is most likely a repro and the dates were cut off for some reason.
    The windshield this decal is on is, I believe, original. I think the decal was modified for some reason. I'm going to look at it tonight and see if the edges look like they were cut.

The PPG windshield is my new one. I replaced the old one, it was just too horribly pitted and scratched by the wipers. Some of the best money I've spent on the car.

Britt

It looks very original to me,, but someone took an exacto knife to it. The 1969 Weltmiester decal was unique with the globe pattern opposite to the later multiple versions, closer spacing of the Porsche lettering and smaller diameter circimference overall.
    I studied these decals for a long time before setting out to make new art work to reproduce these decals for restorations.

Regards, Robert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Maybe the moderator can tell me why my post was deleted. Did I show the incorrect decal?

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by brittbolen
    The PPG windshield is my new one. I replaced the old one, it was just too horribly pitted and scratched by the wipers. Some of the best money I've spent on the car.
    Britt

Gottcha. My original decal has a lot of natural cracking in it. The only piece that actually had fallen off is the section that has the 1969 date. Yours does look like it was cut though for some reason.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Extremely rare Weltmeister decal

Before this decal is removed and replaced with an official 911S Registry repro,
    can one of our Welmeister decal experts tell me if they have seen one like this before. Why blue instead of gold?
    Thanks,
    Leon Kreger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, I like the blue. Are there repros of that?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425