Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best non-OEM shifter?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Who makes the best non-OEM shifter?

Anybody got an opinion on who makes the best easy to install non-OEM shifter?

I replaced the oem shifter in my '72 with Wevo's components (Classic Shifter, Coupler Clamp, and PSJ), and I REALLY LIKE IT! With the Wevo I now enjoy precise, short shifts every time.

It's not the lowest priced set-up on the market, but it's worth every penny in my opinion. I got mine from www.smartracingproducts.com

Not sure about ease of installation....my mechanic did the swap and charged 4 hours labor.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Thanks. Was it hard to install? Anybody tried the shifter made by JWest?

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    Thanks. Was it hard to install? Anybody tried the shifter made by JWest?
    You mean the Rennshift right? Haven't had the pleasure yet, but I have read a few people's opinions over at the PP board, and they think it is great - and much cheaper than the Wevo...

The Rennshift product is fantastic. Curt has a 901 shifter in this Targa and after driving it I am sold on putting one on the my Targa this winter. I have not used a Wevo so I have no comparison with that product.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Hello: Depends on what transmission you have. Thanks Eric

I use a WEVO classic in the Homemade 911...however, this is a dedicated track hound, and not a street(able) car...I just love it. Very crisp. I imagine a WEVO would be great on the street once you get acclimated to it.

I bought the WEVO at a time when it wasjust about the only show in town (other than a custom built fabcar linkage) and I considered the high cost as "cheap insurance" against finding 2nd when you really needed 4th! (been there, done that - got the bill... )
    I have a very custom 901 box...this linkage will work on both 901s and 915s...you simply need the 915 housing - all bolt-up after that.

I cannot speak for these other, less costly alternatives...however, damn near anything's better than that OEM "bowl of oatmeal" setup. That's gotta be the worst linkage out there...

Thanks for the useful advice. I am proud to say that I have never missed a shift. However, the OEM shifter in my car feels sloppy and loose and I would like a shifter that is spring centered. Several years ago a mechanic I no longer use installed a short shift kit and I was surprised it was not spring centered in neutral. So I don't need something with a gate, just something that feels tight.

Also may somebody could give me a opinion on something my tranny has started doing. If I come to a stop with the tranny in second gear it will not shift at all unless I start moving and then I can get it out of 2nd. Ever hear of this?

Don
    -------------------------------------------------
    1969 911S
    1981 911SC

I purchased a Rennshift after driving Curt E's car last year and I have been very happy with it. Dont be stingy with the locktight as the fasteners will occasionally vibrate loose.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Thumbs up WEVO all the way !!!

WEVO.

Thom is correct it is the best. My neighbor accross the street has the WEVO classic shifter in her 73.5 T w.915,

http://www.wevo.com/wevoshifter.htm

along with the WEVO Precision Shift Joint couplerand it is aerospace tight....no slop, defaults to 3rd/4th shift gate....I have driven the car an whoa !!!

http://www.wevo.com/wevopsjpage.htm

I personally know Hayden Burvill, the owner of WEVO, He is a 100% standup rock solid guy and backs his products 100%. He is also an RGruppe member as well so you are not dealing with a stranger. He is also one helluva nice guy to just hang out with

If you have not checked out his website, click on the links and poke around a bit !!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335