Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1971 911S Coupe For Sale $25K

Department of Redundancy Department Paul Konrad's Avatar

1971 911S Coupe For Sale $25K

SOLD

Mostly Original 1971 911S Coupe For Sale (non-Sun Roof), Red with Black Interior. Must see! This car is amazing! CA car, clear title, straight, no rust, and the pan is beautiful! It has the original sport seats, aluminum deck lid and the front steel S spoiler, steel bumpers, all in perfect shape! The car is complete and has some updates, including flared rear fenders to accomodate the 15 x 7 and 8 inch Fuchs. Engine is a 2.4 S spec with S mechanical fuel injection and runs great! It also has a nice bolt-in front strut brace, and received a color change at one time from olive to red. This is what I mean when I say "mostly orginal." Everything else is original on this well cared for '71S. $25,000. PM me for more info and pictures or call me (714) 932-7985. Unable to post pictures here as max file size is only 97.7k -Paul
    1973.5 911T RSR
    1985 Carrera Coupe

PM sent...

PM sent...Tim

Sounds like a good deal.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Department of Redundancy Department Paul Konrad's Avatar

Sold to jtr996

Quote Originally Posted by jtr996
    PM sent...Tim
    Tim, Congratulations! I received your $500 deposit via PayPal at 3:26 PM this afternoon for the full asking price of $25K.

If Tim is unable to complete this transaction, Lars is next in line and will have the option to purchase the car for $25K.

Firstly, I sincerely apologize to Lars for any confusion, frustration and inconvenience. I was on the road this afternoon and I could not confirm that Tim had sent the deposit according to a verbal agreement we had made just prior to the offer from Lars. Lars had made arrangements to go see the car but no deal was ever made, and by the time Lars went to see the car and called me at 4:30 PM to make an offer, I told him that I had just sold the car to Tim for the full $25K and that Tim had already made a deposit payment via PayPal. However, I was unable to confirm the deposit from Tim due to my being on the road and Lars insisted that since he had contacted me first, that he had made the effort to go and see the car and that he should have the right to purchase the car first. This maybe arguable, but the fact remains that I accepted Tim’s offer first and received Tim’s money first, so I have a legal obligation to sell the car to Tim. I can provide proof of the time of receipt of PayPal deposit from Tim at 3:26 PM to anyone who is interested. The offer from Lars did not come in until 4:30 PM and I never received any money from Lars. I do not know Lars personally, and did not know with whom he is associated, and was not sure if he was actually going to go and see the car or not. And if he did go to see the car, I did not know if he would pay the full asking price of $25K. In the meantime, Tim agreed to pay the full asking price of $25K and made an immediate deposit to secure the car. I hope that this is clear.

Here is where it got muddy: When Lars called me at 4:30 PM to make an offer, I explained to him that the car was already sold for the full asking price and that the buyer already paid his deposit to secure the car, and that Lars would be next in line if the deal falls through. However, Lars did not want to hear that the car was already sold and insisted that he had the right to buy the car. I tried to reach Tim to be sure that he really intended to buy the car and to make sure that he sent his deposit, however Tim was unavailable, so I left a message. Subsequently, Lars tried to convince me to sell the car to him for $25K and I agreed to try to talk Tim out of the deal, not knowing that Tim definitely wanted the car that he had already sent his deposit. Moments later, Tim returned my call to reiterate that fact and refused to back out of the deal. I immediately called Lars back to explain that I could not sell the car to him, and now I am the biggest A-hole in So Cal.

For the record, it would have been much easier and much more popular for me to back out of the deal with Tim in Alabama and sell the car to Lars here in So Cal. For one thing, Lars could have driven the car away, and now I have to deal with shipping the car to Alabama. In addition, Lars is a very prominent So Cal Porsche guy and we roll with a lot of the same crowd, and now I have to deal with him being upset with me. And I could have backed out on Tim and never have to see him again, and just deal with his abuse in the forums. However, I know that is not right and I could not live with that. All evidence proves that Tim has the legal right to purchase the car and I cannot in good conscience go back on my agreement with him. I hope that Lars will accept my apology for the confusion and let me make it up to him if I can. I never intended to hurt anyone or waste anyone’s time. I just wanted to sell the car for $25K and never imagined that people would be fighting over it at that price. It’s not a perfect car, rather a nice, complete, mostly original 911S ready for paint and interior. However, it was so chaotic and so busy from the moment I pushed “post” on the “for sale” thread and I was not prepared for the overwhelming and immediate response. I was frantically taking calls, receiving PM’s and emails, and emailing pictures to people, and then I had to rush off with my wife and baby for a couple of hours and did not take any of my notes and phone numbers with me.

Lars, I did not have your cell phone number with me when I left the house. If you recall, you had called me from your office previously, so I did not have your cell number in my cell phone. I apologize for not calling you to let you know that the car had already been sold, however, I was driving in afternoon traffic with my wife and crying baby in the car, so I was not able to pick up the phone and start calling around and try to locate you. Also, by that time, you were most likely already at the car or very close to it. I know you are disappointed, but I’m sure that this is not the first time someone showed up to see a car that had just been sold. This sort of thing has happened to all of us at some time and I hope that people will understand that I was not being malicious or greedy. Let it be known that I did, in fact, sell the car to Tim for the same $25K that I would have sold it to you, despite your allegations. The confusion was never about trying to get more money out of anyone. It was a matter of determining who has the right to buy the car. Now that I am able to check my records I know for sure that it is Tim who has first claims to this car. If he falls though, I will be sure to let you know right away.

This is the only post I will make regarding the circumstances and sale of this car. I will not respond any further posts except to refer to this statement and provide evidence to the facts stated above. Bash me all you want, but I’ve said my peace.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and I hope we can all still be friends.

Respectfully,

Paul Konrad
    1973.5 911T RSR
    1985 Carrera Coupe

Paul,
    You have pm.
    Thanks,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Sounds reasonable to me. The first agreed deal buys the car until such time as the "buying" party back out. This is pretty standard. If a person really wants a car, that person should do everything int heir power to make an offer as soon as possible. Scheduling time to see a car doesn't give a person any priority in terms of buying a car. It sounds like the guy in Alabama wanted the car more because he was willing to make an offer on the car, sight unseen. Where's the controversy? No disrespect to any of the parties involved, but this sounds like an open and shut no brainer.

Selling a car locally is easier, but it sounds like everything was done in terms of making this an honorable transaction.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Paul,
    Ditto Kenik's remark 100%. I would think that the number 2 potential buyer may be disappointed but you handled it like a true gentleman and all others in your area will surely see it that way too. Having been on the loosing end of deal before I commend you on how you handled it as well as the savy Alabama buyer!

Daron

it's like watching the guy in front of you at the kwik stop win $10,000 on a scratch off. you're happy for him but at the same time want to smack the smile off his face.

Savy Buyer

Quote Originally Posted by NiceT
    Having been on the loosing end of deal before I commend you on how you handled it as well as the savy Alabama buyer!
    Daron
    Congratulations to Tim. He obviously knew this was a good deal, no sense
    waiting around. Pay-pay $500 deposit, instant car deal !
    Paul obviously handled this deal like a gentleman.

When I bought my 70E last year I was one of 5 buyers wanting the car.
    Guess who was the 1st to throw down a non-refundable deposit to buy the car?
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon