Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Year Appearance of "RS" door panels and carpet?

First Year Appearance of "RS" door panels and carpet?

I would like to know, based on the SWB Sports Pupose Manual, what is considered a lightened interior for 1968. Does "simplified door trim, door lock operation and rear seat back rests" translate into RS Door Panels and Carpets? Or is it the removal of door pockets, kick panels, rear seat uprights while leaving the rear wheel and shelf panels in place?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

911r

Hi Bob,

Frankly, I've no idea but, perhaps, the 911R offers some guidance. If so, I've more pics on my home PC, just let me know and I'll post a bunch more R photos.

-Allen-

Allen - thanks for the reply. That's waht I am trying to figure out. Is the R interior considered the "simplified door trim, door lock operation and rear seat back rests" per the SWB sports purpose manual or were RS style door panels and carpet available in 1968.

In other words are RS style door panels and carpet correct for a 68? I have noticed them in one car in particular but Don's SWB collection leads me to believe otherwise.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

RS Panels in a '68

Hi BOb,

I must assume you mean RS-like or something along those lines since, obviously, the RS didn't come along until 5 years later. I'd think the RS and then ST would provided the closest you are going to get unless, of course, we have an original car, not an R or ST car.

And yes, Don's car(s) would seam to fit the bill. I don't know what the build sheets say or, in fact, the trim detail is for those cars.

-Allen-

Thanks Allen - "RS-like" is a better term and you have given me direction to give STs a harder look.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

There were two versions of "Light" from what I know. The first on the L which was more of a T or 912 interior with perlon carpet and regular type interior panels but without rear seatbacks. My 68 L Lightweight has no sound padding or tar paper anywhere but uses ordinary plain interior panels as mentioned but with R scheel seats. An interesting note is the SWB Recaro was considered a Lightweight option and part of the Rally Kit.

The lightweight T used a flat door panel with no doorcap and no rear interior panels at all, no soundpads, tar paper, simplified dash trim and perlon everywhere including the headliner which sounds odd but I have confirmed this on an actual 68 T/R. I am sure there are variations too.

Don

Period photos of interiors on SWB racers are almost non-existent. I've been searching for them for a long time, with hardly any luck!

Don - thanks for your input. I vist your site more than I care to mention to absorb all the details of your collection.
    Curt - if you ever find any pics please share them and I'll do the same.
    Based on Don's feedback the Lightweight T sounds very similar to an RS-like interior. Interesting to note the headliner much like the red felt headliner of the R.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

This is almost useless, but like I said, these photos just aren't out there!

There's a possibilty I can order a full hi-res version of this. I'll let you know.

67 Monte Carlo Rally -

Curt - I have seen this picture before and remember reading that all the "caulking" around the gauges, horn ring, etc was to reduce the reflective glare of the interior bit and pieces.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com