Thread: Tightening Durant mirrors?

Red face Tightening Durant mirrors?

Both my Durant mirrors are too flexible and need to be adjusted constantly.

I'm not sure how to go about this and if it's possible to tighten them in place so the circular part remains more firmly in place.

I don't want to "glue" them in place either.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

If you take your Durant mirrors off the doors you will find an inside nut that you can tighten to firm up the adjustment of the mirror. If you tighten it up too much the mirror won't adjust at all...if it's too loose the mirror will not stay in it's proper place. Adust this nut firmly but don't make it too tight...A firm adjustment will allow you to set the mirror the way you want it. It will stay in place and it won't move unless you move it.

Wink Thank you

thanks for the help, off I go for this Sunday project...

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Wink Chicken!!!

I started to unscrew the mirror when I realized that there was a very strong change that one of the bolt or even both of them had a real change to fall inside the door , I stopped.....

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

I installed those mirrors on my 912 this week, and if you lose the bolt, it's not a big deal. It takes 5 minutes to remove the door trim and panel and reach inside the door. While there, you can grease your window regulator and make sure there is no rust on the door bottom (too late for my door)...

N'aie pas peur !!! Ce ne sont que quelques vis !! Y'a rien de bien sorcier sur une porte de 911 !

I too did this job last weekend... in the fading light on a grey English evening.
    And I lost a bolt and two washers!
    I had the door pocket off anyway, so could fish them out by reaching my arm down inside.
    But I didn't find a bolt to tighten inside. There was some surface rust but it appeared that where you would expect to see the round threaded 'bolt' end, on which to tighten the nut, the 'bolt' was square ended
    And in place of a nut, I found a bolt with a square hole.
    With the slotted metal backing on the mirror, I could not get a socket inside to try at least see if it would rotate, so settled for needle nosed pliers.
    And the thing would not budge.
    Put it back on the car for the blast back down the A1, and all the fuss has loosened the mirror even more

Don't be concerned about dropping a bolt or washer down in the bottom of your door. As Greg D says...it's just a few minute job to pull off the door panels and get access. It's also a great time to check for rust at the bottom of your door and to make sure the drain holes are clear so rust doesn't form. If you have a door speaker installed you may be able to remove that and get access into the inside of the door without pulling off the door panel. However, in any event, I recommend you head down to your local auto parts store, Sears, etc. and pick up two inexpensive tools which are invaluable when working on your car: First, get a magnet tool. These look like a small chrome pen with a small magnet on the end that can be pulled out to about 18" in length (like your radio antenna). Second, pick up a mirror tool. It's the similar to the magnet tool but with a mirror mounted on the end of an extending shaft. The magnet tool will allow you to fish nuts and bolts out of places you can't get to or can't see. The mirror tool will allow you (sometimes along with a flashlight) to see places you can't see otherwise. b.t.w. Both the early '65-67 Durant mirrors and the later '72-74 flag style mirrors have the same type of adjusment nut. I've seen some '68-71 style Durant mirrors with a little different type of nut that you may need to use plyers or a screw driver on to loosen and tighten. Don't be afraid to tackle the adjustment nut in your door mirror. Once you get it adjusted properly you'll kick your self for not doing it sooner.

Updating this thread in case anyone else has the same question ... see photo of 'adjusting nut' inside a durant mirror. You can turn this nut by simply moving the mirror out until the nut hits the indented tab tab seen to the right of the nut in the photo below and then just rotate the mirror 360 degrees. Though I didn't try I'm assuming you can do this while your mirror is attached to the door ... tho not 100% certain of this.

Having said all of this, turning the nut hasn't seemed to tighten my mirror a lot .. I suspect the thread is gone / rusted (need to take it on a drive - however it's too wet at the moment to go out )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    71 T 2.7
    Early S Register # 2460
    TYP 901 Register #16
    Looking for engine number 6112862

The above didn't tightening my mirror ; so I took the glass out (put a small screw driver between the plastic ring and mirror frame and ease out the ring) and found there's a screw you can tighten (under the glass) whilst holding the nut as described above. All fixed now and stays in place whilst driving ..

I've been putting up with a loose mirror for 5 years .. wished I knew how to fix it earlier !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mc_porsche; 07-31-2020 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added text
    71 T 2.7
    Early S Register # 2460
    TYP 901 Register #16
    Looking for engine number 6112862

Solved by the aussies!!!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6