Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell your 'wish i'd have bought that....' stories

Tell your 'wish i'd have bought that....' stories

I was just reminiscing over a few cars i wish i had pulled the trigger on and wanted some other stories to share the misery. no, i'm not ready to share mine just yet......too fresh.......sniff, sniff..... but perhaps your stories of 'did i tell you the time i had a chance to buy....' will ease my pain (and that of certain others.............)

I have a few

but one in particular, involving a 70S Viper Green car is too painful to recount....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

I already hate this thread.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Wish I had purchased the immaculate metalic silver '68 Mercedes 190SL, with full leather, when it was offered 15 years ago for $7.5K. Also wish I had not sold my pristine Helios Blue '84 Ur Quattro.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

I remember my dad wanting a "toy" in 1970 and buying a new pontiac gto with a 400 ci engine and automatic but for a short time he had considered, for less money by the way (I think around $3,500) a hardly driven 1966 Shelby Mustang a co-worker of his had to sell because he was starting a family and needed another car. I recall he decided against it because it was a stick, had no a/c and he felt the white paint with blue racing stripes was a bit to juvenile for him. I wonder which is worth more today
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

How about a Ferrari 246GTS, fly yellow/black, for $22k a year before Enzo died (a moment of silence please). I think they went to at least $200K two years later. No regrets. I ended up with a 1964 XKE roadster with 37K miles. Had fun with that one for a while. Sure do love this early German stuff though. High quality and racing heritage. Gets my blood stirring!...

Not a Porsche, but in the late 80s, I couldn't scrape together $3.5-4k to buy a 440-sixpack Plymouth Superbird.

1977... A friend turned me on to a doctor who wanted out of his half done project...

A Carrera II GS/GT, alloy panels, center fill gas, plex windows, 5 alloy/steel wheels... selling as a roller with engine and trans complete, and everything else in boxes... all there ... and the car in red primer....

The price - $7850.00 (probably $7500 and $350 to my friend)

In 1977 it was like $78500.00 to me .......

Kind'a'like this
    http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/other_po...f_356_carrera4

.... and so it goes...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I had been searching for an "E" when in the Fall of 2002 I found an L.A. Times ad for a '72 911S -- $23,500. I called on a Wednesday. Seller said he was too busy with work for me to drive out that night. Could show me the car Saturday. I knew I should have pushed the issue and driven out before then. But then it would have been at night, I wouldn't have been able to get a good view of the car, blah-blah-blah. I called him Saturday morning to get directions and he'd already sold the car to another guy by 9 AM that morning! Of course, at that time, $23,500 was pretty close to top of the market. So in the long run, I don't know if I would have pulled the trigger.

But then a few months later I found my matching numbers leaf green Sweet-E for $7,000. So I did okay. But don't ask my wife. She always says, "Beware of the $7,000 Porsche..."
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

I'm too young to have any of these experiences with cars, but I hear my dad tell stories about the numerous Speedsters, Roadsters, Ss, an RS, and a couple of muscle cars that he just didn't go after ... before they were of serious value. My favorite "one that got away" story is of the complete 935 motor he let get away back in the 90s.

But, back then, the collectability wasn't the same as it is now. A man could go insane thinking backwards ... it's more important not to let the NEXT big thing get away.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687