Thread: Well...since I got my butt kicked...

Well...since I got my butt kicked...

...on this board the last few days...I'd like some advice for future dealings and to learn "how to behave" or proper "etiqette" if you like,when it comes to buying/selling stuff on this and other BB's.
    Scenario:
    I have a pair of Recaro sport-seats for sale for $3000.00..OBO....
    Someone(from the "crowd" but not real close) calls on Tuesday and agrees to buy'em for the asking price,but want to stop by on coming Saturday to check'em out since he/she is out of town on business...We agree and info is exchanged....I'm asked to hold'em for sure and not let'em go...no money down...I said OK..."Verbal Handshake"...etc,etc...

1)Do I do just that?..stay put on price and what I agreed to..and keep a chronological-log of other "potentials"?
    2)Do I say ...well if you don't put any money down I'm going for the guy who gimm'e the money first?
    2A) How much down in %?
    2B) Refundable or not?
    3)Do I agree as in #1...and then get an offer for say ~$4500.00 and "grab the money and run"..i.e screw the first person?
    4)Do I do as in #3 but call/contact the first guy and explain my dilemma...like a "heads-up"?..i.e first right of refusal?..
    5)I'm not holding anything...here is my address and I have "PayPal"...come and look..if you want'em,you buy'em...Money talks...
    6) I'm taking "offers"...does OBO means I'm negotiable..i.e I might accept a lower amount than the "asking price" or does it mean I'm looking to get more than asking price?
    7) Should I not respond at all and let it be as it may?...like some people do?
    8) Screw the whole thing and put it on E-bay?

I'm also aware that it is a "legal"-way and a "moral"-way to handle this kind of scenario...and it gets "tricky" when it comes to complete cars and PPI's etc,etc...any input would be of interest.

I'm not sure how this "polling"-thing works but let's give it a shot..../ Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Hmmm...that didn't work....
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Morality vs. Legality Polling

It seems that morals/ethics nowadays has NOTHING to do business. Cash talks, everything else takes second. Everyone else is just a sore loser??

People may be doing the correct LEGAL way of doing business, but it sure has nothing to do with a moral way of doing business. I.E. common sense is NOT that common.

I vote for Morals

I have found that a business without morals, does not stay in business..
    what comes around goes around
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Morals Again

I vote for Morals

I have found that a business without morals, does not stay in business..
    what comes around goes around

I second that emoticon for Morals and hope that Car ma does come into action someday. Whether it be a great deal to you or a bad deal to the deserving person.

Scooter

I would also find out how serious the would be buyer is since he is someone you have never dealt with before and probably ask for a time limit on holding an item. I would only take like a 5 to 10% non refundable deposit on a item that was personally seen and agreed upon. Enough to make it worth your while to have to contact the second person or to put it up for sale again.

Gburner
    1)Do I do just that?..stay put on price and what I agreed to..and keep a chronological-log of other "potentials"?
    Yes, if you want more raise your asking price or enter a sealed bid Auction with best and final offer between interested parties next Monday at 3pm.

2)Do I say ...well if you don't put any money down I'm going for the guy who gimm'e the money first?
    Yes
    2A) How much down in %?
    20%, with a time limit, good to hold the part for 1 or only 2 weeks.

2B) Refundable or not?
    Not refundable. Man law exception, if the part sells immediately you can be a bud and give it all back.

3)Do I agree as in #1...and then get an offer for say ~$4500.00 and "grab the money and run"..i.e screw the first person?

At that point just say you decided not to sell the part and take the money and don’t tell us you made a killing.
    I guess a solid lie is better in that case.

4)Do I do as in #3 but call/contact the first guy and explain my dilemma...like a "heads-up"?..i.e first right of refusal?..
    If you took no money down to reserve the part buyer #1 should have no obligation to buy it or in turn you to save it for him.

5)I'm not holding anything...here is my address and I have "PayPal"...come and look..if you want'em,you buy'em...Money talks...

That’s the bottom line, unless it’s your buddy and he says I’ll buy it (when?) and you store it in your garage for months or years until he really needs the part. 

6) I'm taking "offers"...does OBO means I'm negotiable..i.e I might accept a lower amount than the "asking price" or does it mean I'm looking to get more than asking price?

If you say OBO better price it way high and hope someone bids high on it.
    Unless you price it stupid low with no visible bids no one is going to rush in and offer more??

You always have control of what you sell. If your best friend says I want it for $$ and some guy in Africa says I'll give you $$$ you get to choose who gets the part.

7) Should I not respond at all and let it be as it may?...like some people do?

Lars, the part is yours do as you feel, a guy has got to make a buck.
    Try sorry part is no longer available.

8) Screw the whole thing and put it on E-bay?

Evil bay, I’d rather sell it for 20% less to a friend if I could see the part on his car once in a while.

That’s a big part of the hobby, either you hoard stuff in your garage or you dump it and simplify your life.
    I like simple.
    Lars I vote for caffeine free as I sip my Diet Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner
    Evil bay, I’d rather sell it for 20% less to a friend if I could see the part on his car once in a while.
    Amen.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

<3)Do I agree as in #1...and then get an offer for say ~$4500.00 and "grab the money and run"..i.e screw the first person?

At that point just say you decided not to sell the part and take the money and don’t tell us you made a killing.
    I guess a solid lie is better in that case.<

Cash is talking
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968