Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 73RS driving experience vs modern 911

73RS driving experience vs modern 911

I'm about to embark on project to restore a 74 911 ROW to a 73RS clone. This car has the same MFI engine & tranny as a 73RS, and I think I might just be able to achieve 90% of an RS with the help of a local 911 guru.

I'm a big fan of the RS & read only good things about it, but never had a chance to own one since it is not available in my country, & early 911s are endangered species here. I've never owned or driven older 911 (I owned 993 for 10yrs) & now drive a 997C2S. I know I have to be realistic about expectations since a 997 is a modern super car, whereas the RS is legendary.

Before I sink my precious $$$$ into this project (I obviously cannot test drive an old 911 since none are available here), I'd like your frank oppinions on the driving experience of a 73RS vs a modern 911 on whether I'll be utterly dissapointed with the end result or completely blown away by the telepathic driving experience of fully cloned RS. What should I expect or not expect from this 'special' car. Is the driving experience so sensual & evocative that will put me in driving heaven?
    993C4 Cab

When you say '74 911 ROW' do you mean an original MFI Euro Carrera?
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

A 74 Carrera is a valuable car in itself which would deserve a restoration for what it is. Transformation into a clone? It would be a pity, IMHO.

I think a '74 euro MFI Carrera, as has been discussed here I think, is very close to a touring RS in weight, so it should drive much the same. It is a unique car in its own right. Just my .02
    Regards,
    Bob Aines

old versus new

Don't do it if it's about performance or speed! I own a brand new 997 4S convertible and about 6 or 7 old 911. The newest Porsche is always the best! And the fastest one too. NO '73 RS can (of course) match its performance. But.... I also own e.g. a wonderful, low miles 912 which gives me a similar driving pleasure as the 4S. I'm not talking about speed, I'm talking about fun. If fun is your goal, do it.
    Mike, member #841

I've owned a 2001 996 C4 w/ M030 suspension/GT3 body kit. I've driven a 993 C4S a fair amount and I tool around in my brother's 2002 996 C2 Tip.

I've now had three early cars. A 73 S that can best be described as a "gentleman's" RS--2.7 RS spec motor, a 69 T w/ a nice hot rod 2.9 in it and my current car a 72T w/ track spec suspension and stock rebuilt 2.4 MFI.

Yes, from a pure performance standpoint the early cars will not come close to the new cars. But that's besides the point. Its all about the feel and experience. While you are travelling slower, it sure feels like you are going much faster than the new cars. Plus you are so much more involved.

The cars are light and flickable, you feel everything through the steering, hear every sound the motor is making and know that you are the master of your destiny. I do a lot of interesting driving for my work (publish and auto mag) in a lot of interesting cars. But the most epic drives have been in my old Porsches. The run up to the R Gruppe gathering in my S on California backroads with 8 other like minded cars and drivers was incredible.

A recent early morning clear run down Highway 1 between Carmel and San Simeon w/ the Pacific mist in the trees in my 72 was just plain epic. You break a sweat and get an adrenline burst that won't happen unless you are doing just plain stupid speed in a modern car. My 72 is making about 150hp right now and its still a complete blast. Though I am planning a 2.8 high compression, twin plug for it.

Its really not about the car's ultimate performance. Get an early car, build it the way you want to and you won't be disappointed. I do warn you though, its a slippery slope...
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Ditto Creator8.

You will be twice as happy at a velocity just over the speedlimit. Something a new car can not duplicate.

If you want to clone an RS, that is a matter of personal preference to the body style. Some would argue for originality but ultimately it is your money that will be spent creating the car in your dreams.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

I'm lucky enough to own a 996GT3 MkII and a '73 2.7RS so I can offer some insight.

Outright speed and performance? Of course the GT3 eats the RS. BUT on a winding road, clear conditions - the RS is so delicate - tiny steering inputs, using the engine from 5,000 to 7,300rpm, the induction roar when it comes up to the redlne, the precision of the steering, the fact there is so much less weight to move from corner to corner - the fact that the fat walled tyres are actually part of the suspension - it's a spiritual experience.

Driving the GT3? Sure, there's adrenaline - but there's no soul in the way there is in a '73 RS.

As for 'backdating' a '74 car - don't bother - they're catching their sibling in value and are a superb car in their own right.

If you want to track, drive long distances, use it in bad weather - spend the money on a modern Porsche.

If you want soul, purity and a permanent grin on your face - restore the RS and enjoy the lack of depreciation on the RS

HTH

P
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Quote Originally Posted by 993C4
    I'm about to embark on project to restore a 74 911 ROW to a 73RS clone. This car has the same MFI engine & tranny as a 73RS, and I think I might just be able to achieve 90% of an RS with the help of a local 911 guru.
    Don't modify a '74 ROW MFI Carerra - these cars are now rising in price and are becoming collectible in their own right. If you want to make an RS clone, do it on another car.

Agreed, don't cut up the Carrera 2.7 to 'make it into' an RS. What is the condition of your '74 Carrera currently? Is it a RHD model? These cars are somewhat rare as there were a little over a 1000 coupes produced in '74.

My vote is to restore/rebuild the Carrera as it was with some reversible lightweight modifications to make it even more fun to drive than a '73 Touring RS. If the engine needs to be rebuilt you could even think about a 2.8L, high compression motor for more giggles. Don't make it into a long hood though.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299