Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Side Stripe question

Side Stripe question

Can someone give me a little background on the “PORSCHE” side stripe that is just above the rockers/ door bottoms? Was this a factory or dealer installed option? Or was it always aftermarket? If it was a Porsche item what years were they available? Where are they available today?

Thanks,
    Steve

Not sure of the history, but here is a site where they sell it...

http://www.gt-racing.com/
    Keith E.
    Early 911S Registry #941
    1978 911SC Dirty Penny

I always thought this was a cool application of the side stripe...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I dont have all lists for each year, but this item was part of dealer installed accessories.
    My 1970 accessories dealer catalogue lists it:

ZPW 146 112: all 900 series, white
    ZPW 146 113: all 900 series, black

Porsche Letterering and stripes
    "Underscores your pride of ownership with the flair and authority of a competition racer. High-quality, color-fast material withstands punishing
    weather:"

also, see:
    http://www.911t.org/options/default.htm
    under 70 911Toptions-appearance-page 22
    Registry member No.773

Per the Carrera RS book, the first time side lettering was used following the 1966 Sebring race when Helmut Bott overheard someone mistakenly call the 910 for 'a beautiful new Alfa'. From then on all race cars were to be clearly marked with the Porsche name.

The decals became popular after that, so the factory offered them on series production cars also. So they would have appeared on the SWB 911 in '67 through, at least '73. The same book gives a factory option code of 438 for white Porsche side lettering and 439 for black, only available for M472 models. Probably the SWB option code is 4 digits but I can't find that #.

The part # from the '73 parts catelogue is 901.559.317.61 for white lettering on left side and 318.61 for white on right side, 319.61 for black on left and 320.61 for black on right.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds
    Per the Carrera RS book, the first time side lettering was used following the 1966 Sebring race when Helmut Bott overheard someone mistakenly call the 910 for 'a beautiful new Alfa'. From then on all race cars were to be clearly marked with the Porsche name.
    .. that reminds me of BMW's 3.0 CSL race cars written
    "Bavarian Motor Works" on their windshield because people initially thought BMW means "British Motor Works"..
    Registry member No.773

They were factory insatlled too. My 68 Lightweight L has them on the Kardex and my 73 RS originally had them as well.

Don

This is from Christophorus No 75 1968. Note how the font is thinner and more "square" than GT-Racing's Script.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

This is from my library in a folder titled "Original 67S 20K miles":
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

At least the black version (901.559.319.61 and 901.559.320.61) seems available still at www.mittelmotor.de
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa