Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn grills - Plastic and Chrome?

Horn grills - Plastic and Chrome?

I just removed my horn grills today for surgery to mount my driving lights. I also have an old pitted set lying around and have handled them enough to know what metal ones weigh. I was surprised when I removed my chrome grills becasue the were so light. Looking more closely, they have to be plastic. They look just like the metal ones, but have some additional details in the back, including a "Huf" logo near one of the screw holes, as well as an "L" and "R" to denote which side they go on.

I never knew there were plastic ones in chrome. Am I the only one that missed the boat in knowing these exist?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I had two cars of 72 with "plastic" chome grils
    No idea if these where original on a 72
    the earlier cars i got were 2.2's and they had metal ones (indeed very heavy)

So I missed that boat also

Ah one of the great mysteries of life - horn grills.

My '73 came with the original cut-out horn grills, which are made from pot-metal which are chromed. They do weigh a bit. I have seen some outrageous prices for the same on EvilBay.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Kenik,

Any interest in unloading those REALLY HEAVY & ugly pitted ones? I need a driver's side... for modification.

Let me know, I'll even take care of shipping.

BA
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Brad,

I am using the pitted ones to fill the holes on my car until I modify the plastic set for driving lights (being plastic, should I even do it?). After that, they are all yours. They ARE pretty nasty and probably not worth using if you have rechroming in mind; they'd take too much work.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks Kenik,

I would wait to find out if you have something that is indeed rare on your hands before surgery; before this I had never heard of chrome plastic grills, but I haven't heard of a lot of things...

When you no longer have a need for the metal ones, lets talk!

BA
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Horn Grilles

I have a set of the Metal Ones that I could handle to someone in the need, I tried to metal polish them but the result was not what I expected so I bought the Plastic ones which looks great ! However I do not know the durability of the paint let see what happens. Also the metal ones are to heavy.

If anybody is interested send me a PM , mines are from a 1968 911/912
    Joe 912
    '68, 912
    Mexico
    Early 911S Registry # 1918

Plastic Horn grilles

The plastic horn grilles are aftermarket (Performance Products) fitting 1969-73. They come in chrome or black. With sun exposure the chrome tend to fade to gray/purple/milky. $36 each. Do a search on Pelican.

Too bad they don't offer the same grilles for the short wheel based cars. I'm sittin with 4 lbs of chromed brass on the front of my 65 car. The pot metal 66/67/68 are not much better. Light weight and replace every few years? Light weight=go fast. I'd be partial to plastic on this part.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

They do make repro SWB 2 screw chrome plated plastic grills.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

My metal ones on the 71 were pitted badly, so I simply filed them down to a nice smooth surface, primed and used a lil bondo to fill in the pits and then painted them satin black to match the rest of the front...looks great.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330