Thread: Winter Storage

Winter Storage

I'm storing my California raised 911 E for the winter here in NY. This is how I've stored my previoius toys. Remove battery attach a trickle charger. Stuff a rag in the exhaust (keep moisture out). Park car in garage with poly film underneath it (vapor barrier). Any other suggestions? I do want to preserve that pristine California body.
    Thanks is advance for your thoughts......

Crack the windows a sminch to allow some air circulation.
    Put a few moth balls in the interior to ward off pests.
    Pump up the tires to prevent flat spotting.
    Change oil.
    Early 911S Registry #224
    911S Targa 1973
    356B Roadster 1962

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Leon,

I’m not sure I would use moth balls. Perhaps a new dog bed of cedar shavings might be better.

In your climate there isn’t any substitute for a mechanical de-humidifier with the drain outside or down a trap (with a little oil above the water in the trap).

I would also include some snap-type mouse traps around the garage.

Here are some links where this has been discussed extensively:

“Winter Storage Checklist”
    “Rust vs. Humidity vs. Storage”
    “What do you do about winterization?”
    ”PCA Porsche Winter Storage”
    ”Spare Motor Storage...What to do”

Best,
    Grady

Leon,
    I have a great idea, drive car out to Montana, nice and dry out here in winter. I'll promise to take good care of her.
    Phil

Grady, Edwin, Great tips and links....thanks.

Phil, If I bring my car to Montana I won't be able to eat my Cherios in the garage on Saturday mornings while I admire THAT shape under the cover (I'm I the only one that does this?) Hey please get me pictures of your CIS when you get a minute. My other garage space is empty. Ciao!

Rats tend to crawl up the heat echangers all the way into the interior, so make sure that you pull the defrost handle all the way up, preventing them to come into the interior and eating everything up! Put rat poison in the car too. When do you expect to pull it back out of storage? Seems way too early to put it in storage!

Erick

Erick, The snow can fly in Western NY by mid to late October sometimes. Just making plans in advance. We break them out in early May usually. Goes with the territory....