Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall guy needs low seat w/ access to back seat

Tall guy needs low seat w/ access to back seat

Likely will be the new owner of a sunroof car in a few weeks and would like to replace late model seats (longhood but w/ later seats) with something that will be:

a)more period correct
    b)lower to allow headroom as i have a tall torso
    c)comfortable for a 6'1, 260lb fat ass
    d)allow relatively easy access to the rear as I will have my 2yr old son with me on occasion.

My main concern is safety for my son. i would like to attend various events with the car AND my family and the safer my little guy can be the better.

Anybody with similar circumstances find a perfect seat?

Erik

i'm 6' 1" and have a single recaro sport seat in my daily driver. they are a lot lower than a stock seat, plus they have 3 height settings. i have mine on mid front and mid rear and i have heaps of room (sunroof car).

much more supportive and comfortable than a stock seat (but i'm only about 180 lbs).

there is also a couple of ok repro's around too.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

As a fellow big guy @ 6'1" and 230 lbs with a tall torso, I like my GTS Nurburgrings on tilt brackets. They are plenty wide enough to leave me sitting loosely in the seat while being very, very low.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    As a fellow big guy @ 6'1" and 230 lbs with a tall torso, I like my GTS Nurburgrings on tilt brackets. They are plenty wide enough to leave me sitting loosely in the seat while being very, very low.
    I wholeheartedly agree. You can put a bend in the cross brackets and get these seats very low. Plenty of headroom in a sunroof car, and they can tilt too.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

My vote is for the Rallye ST from GTS. I have both Rallye ST for driver and Nurburgring for passenger in my car and as another bigger guy: 6' 200lbs I prefer the ST. You kind of sit on the Nurburgring whereas you are most definitely in the Rallye ST. I put these seats in for the same reason--so my kids can get in the back of the car (once I remove the roll bar).
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

I love the rally STs, but the ones I sat in are waaay too narrow for my 230 lbs, much less 260 lbs. Just an FYI.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Erik,
    I realize the sunroof costs a little head room but I have a 73 coupe with out sunroof but with rebuilt stock seats and my 6'5" frame fits fine. Definately no room to add a hard hat for track events though. Sport seats have height adjustments and the previous S/R coupe with sport seats left me plenty of room. Mike Walker on this site has a nice almost new pair on repro sport seats for sale that might suit your needs. Contact him to see how adjustable they are. Nice looking seats at a fraction $$$ of the real thing.

Daron

I missed the bit about 260lbs...Big Fella!! While there's plenty of room for me in the STs I'd definitely try them on for size. Nurburgrings may work better for you to sit on rather than in.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Hello: Depending on how the newer seats are mounted the original seats may be lower after you sit in them. You can also have the original seats redone to fit you by using foam instead of the original spring setup. Lastly you could mount some after market seats to the floor depending on how wide you are. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

thanks for the input guys. and to think just 15 yrs ago in high school i was 165lbs. i am working on getting lighter but it's a tough road to hoe.

sounds like the nurburgrings are the seats to try. i worry about the rally st's being a bit too cumbersome to get in and out of. i did get to ride in a 911 w/ late model sport seats (from a SC i would guess) and they were very comfy. are the nurburgrings anywhere near as nice?

GTS mentions recommending the tilt bracket only for the passenger seat. any ideas why?