Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Site Offered to Replace Crystal Cove

New Site Offered to Replace Crystal Cove

Freeman Thomas has served up a great idea to keep the Saturday ritual of getting together with hundreds of car guys and gals alive and well.
    From the Desk of Freeman.
    As you know, next weekend will be the end to Crystal Cove. There is alot of discussion as to where it will go. I spoke with my Ford collegues, John Clinard(Ford West Coast PR Chief and owns a '65 911, the cover car from the 1965 Sports Car Graphic), Vic Borghese(runs and manages the Ford/PAG building). Together we surveyed our building and land and thought it would be suitable and are willing to offer up its use for Saturday mornings 8-11. Here's the opportunity, the outdoor parking easily holds 600+ cars, the building is an outstanding example of modern architecture and landscaping, we have an incredible Cafe on site with Starbucks coffee that is willing to be open during that time, its located right at the Spectrum so you can actually walk to the shops, we have room for trailers if some really special cars show up that aren't driven or if you want to bring out the Porsche Renntransporter with your collection of 917's and 908/3's. Ford owns the building and land so we have control. Also there are no issues with noise so if we want to have a ritual 8:30 "Gentlemen please start your engines" that would be OK. We're even OK if a competitor wants to show off a concept vehicle. As long as it supports the grassroots enthusiast and doesn't become commercial, disrespectable, unsafe or a swapmeet we're OK. We would like to build on the positive momentum of what CC has already started. We'll only open up this offer if there's enough vocal support to do it as we would need to notify our Cafe, security etc. Please put this on the S-Registry and RGRUPPE sites and any other car club you know of. We have parking in the north lot for "pedestrian" cars and trailers. We'll monitor the forums and see the response. Any questions please contact Jon Clinard at jclinard@ford.com. or Tom Shaughnessy at GT40MIRAGE@AOL.COM Our building is the North America headquarters for Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Volvo and is where Ford's Advanced Studio(mine) is located. Check it out on Google Earth at 7905 Gateway, Irvine, Ca 92618. Its right at the 405/ I5 Y at the mouth of Laguna Canyon Road in Irvine. Really easy access. There's also the opportunity that each week a car brand or a theme(LeMans cars?) can have a corral. Please get it out there and we'll see what happens as there is talk of other locations being considered we don't want to overshadow anyone else. Wherever it ends up we'll be there to support it.

All the best,
    Freeman
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

How about Malibu. Maybe you guys can do the 405 for once, its fun
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

405 misery

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03
    How about Malibu. Maybe you guys can do the 405 for once, its fun
    Boy, ain't THAT the truth. I have passed on many a great event, dreading the drive South (and home, heading North) on the 405. It can now take over 2 hours to get to Northern Orange County. Not fun...
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

yea riding that clutch and no a/c
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Thanks Freeman

Given how many cars can show up on a Sayurday morning, I think that the Ford location is perfect.
    Dick Moran

That makes me want to move to California
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Red face Crystal Cove

Sad to hear this is going to be over...
    I was there with my 911 from the start - when there were just 10 or 20 cars or so...
    Many good m emories...
    Freemans offer sounds GREAT though, I hope he'll get all support with this...
    What an inspiration for car designers...
    I see everybody working Saturdays from now on...

Thorsten Klein,
    RGruppe #276, Weissach, Germany

1973 Porsche 911 T/R (R ennsemmel) -
    LICENSED IN GERMANY (!!) WITH 106dB
    LEISTRITZ FACTORY SPORT MUFFLER!!!
    THERE GOES THE NEIGHBOURHOOD!!!

2014 991 Carrera (bad weather P car )
    1997 RenaultSport Spider (the 'last' Alpine)

"Das letzte Fahrzeug auf Erden - wird ein Sportwagen sein..." (F.Porsche)

Lightbulb

I'll not have the chance to make it to the original, but look forward to making it to it's replacement... if it happens

I think Freeman needs some positive responses to his idea on this board and all the others concerned ....

Although a PITA for me in distance… I think this is a BRILLIANT idea...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

We can b!tch about the 405 all day long, but the fact of the matter is we're all gonna suck it up and go.

Hooray for Freeman for taking the initiative.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146
    We can b!tch about the 405 all day long, but the fact of the matter is we're all gonna suck it up and go.

Hooray for Freeman for taking the initiative.
    I'll be there as schedule permits... Thanks Freeman
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway