Thread: New Member with “New” Car

New Member with “New” Car

Good afternoon guys,

I’ve been lurking for a while and just joined both the forum and the registry this morning as I’ve recently pulled the trigger on a 1968 911L. Obligatory pictures are attached. The PO just dropped the car off this morning at parent’s house in Danville, VA. (I’ve already started ordering parts online! The slope is very slippery!) I’m hoping to transport the car to my current domicile in Michigan sometime in the next few weeks.

As you can see the car’s got a little patina. The PO had been using the car at DE events (mostly at VIR in Danville). When I test drove the car a few weeks ago in Richmond before the purchase all the mechanicals seemed good; it made all the typical sounds an early small displacement P-car should (although something a little funky was going on with selecting the dogleg first gear. Sometimes going into and out of first you nicked reverse, although this characteristic disappeared later in the test drive.

Short term plans include performing a “driving restoration” with 67/68 ‘S visual update. The interior is pretty rough (look for me to post WTB requests on the FS/WTB forum). One bit of good news that my dad relayed to me is that included in the spares were the rest of the door trim/pockets. Depending on their conditions it may be worth backdating/updating to a different configuration.

Michigander early 911 fans - I’m looking to get involved with the early 911 community (shows/DEs/touring) in and around the Detroit metro area. Drop me a PM if you’ve got any information about local happenings

matt

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/motortownmatt/
    1968 911L

911l

One of the best improvments to make on the car is to put back the "911L" script on the engine cover. In my mind that makes this rare model official. You just see soo many 911T, E, and 911S's around ; when you see a 911L; you take special notice to the car. IMHO. JUst doing that will help the value also Regards Chris Early S Reg.#205

Re;

Raspy - I appreciate your comments. My dad and I have been pretty active in the Porsche (2 356s, an 87 911 and another 68 911L) and corvette hobbies (66 327/350, 56, and 73) and normally adhere to the "keep it original" philosophy. The cars are worth more and appeal to a larger audience when it comes time to part with them. I guess part of my desire to badge it as an 'S is to do something a bit different than what we've done in the past. Part of my long term plans for the car may involve making it an outlaw/RGruppe car (maybe even an ST replica!).
    1968 911L

Welcome to the site Matt. Cal looks very nice! We have a pretty hard core group here in the midwest. In fact, we will be meeting in Michigan in two weeks for our annual Midwest Esses fall run. Several of us are RGruppe members. Perhaps you would like to check it out.
    PM me if you would like to know more.
    Dave
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Welcome to the board and club Matt...

Cheers and thanks for the support,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Welcome to the board. Have you paid your membership dues yet? <-- That one was for you, Chuck.

Really, though, welcome aboard, Matt. Can't wait to see more of you and your L gracing the pages of these forums.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687