Thread: Question: Installing Correct Fenders/Bumpers on 70/71

Question: Installing Correct Fenders/Bumpers on 70/71

If a PO "forward dated" an early car by installing later fenders and bumpers on a targa, how easy would that be to change it back to correct body panels? If it were a desireable car such as an E or S, how would that affect its value? I have seen a few of these sort of cars for sale at times and the idea has crossed my mind. At this point, let's just assume that the car is 100% rust free.

I here about some owners installing flares on the early cars (not that I would do that to an original one ), so maybe one could keep the SC flares and remove the front fenders and correct the later bumper install. When you forward date a car like that, did the hood have to be replaced as well? If you could find a car that is priced right but has these mods, would it make sense to buy it and return it back to original?

Obviously, there is an idea lurking behind all my questions.

Scott

Fenders and bumpers are not that hard to change. The hard part is the hood latch may have been moved (front bulkhead)... so, to answer your question, the '65-73 "long" hood is different from the '74-89 "short" hood.

As far as price, if it makes economic sense to you, go for it. If you are a bodyman and there is a cheap deal, you'll probably come out ahead buying it and restoring the body to original. If you are not a bodyman, and are contemplating having someone do this work for you, get an estimate and see if the time/trouble/investment is worth it when you factor it in to the price of the car. Without a doubt, later bumpers and fenders will devalue a longhood early 911, probably more for a 911E or 911S.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Scott, thanks for the response. I am not a body man, but I surmised that bumper and front fender changes were bolt-on mods. The one thing that I did not think about was the front hood latch, which tells me that the later cars had a different hood length. I was contemplating keeping the rear SC flares since I am not a body man.

I would not be restoring the car back to original to resell at the same market price as an original car. I am just thinking that if one could purchase an E or S for a significantly discounted price, you could make those changes and be into a more desireable car for a lot less money than they are selling for today. This would assume a really solid chassis and engine. Basically, you would have E or S performance without spending crazy $$.

Maybe it is just a pipe dream, but it is fun to think about it. Sort of a barn find that is not in a barn, but under later model clothes.

Hello: I have a Euro 82 Sc and I am thinking of backdating it to an RS look. The back end is easy to do. The front is not bad if you can find some old early fenders so you can cut the turn signal boxs off. The front bulkhead you can work around as well by using hold down straps or making a stricker plate stand. I would leave the flares on since it will cost some you more to replace them. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric